SeanC

Bargrounding

I’m a newbie, trying to get the hang of bargrounding. I have a set of Barry King #27 bar grounders and I’m just not liking how it’s turning out. I understand that you’re not really supposed to walk them. I just find it hard to get a nice, even background. Are bigger bar grounders more user friendly than these tiny ones?

I use Barry’s bar grounders on a fairly regular basis and yes the larger are a lot easier to use I would recommend trying size 35 or larger depending on what you are doing. Use the largest dot one you can to start just go side by side with the leather on the dry side, you can fan it around also.  Just takes some practice like all carving and stamping. Hope this helps.  I would get 35-5,  35-3 and maybe a 35-7 for larger area. Enjoy Rodney 

I use a set of Barry King's in a size 45.  I really like the way they look, and yes they are easier than the 27.

Terrt

It helps a lot with bargrounding to have assorted weights of mallets/mauls so that you can match strike weight to tool size and desired depth

Don Gonzalez has a bunch of videos where he is bar grounding a good bit. Check him out on YouTube, you are bound to learn something. I learn pretty well by watching and got a bit more consistent with bar grounding from watching him and then practicing. I was amazed at how fast bar grounding goes when you get the feel of it. But! There's always a "but" isn't there? Bad bar grounding looks like complete hell, so getting good at it is important compared to regular matting/backgrounding.

My bar grounding attempts were a hot mess until I purchased the BK #35's.  These are much more crisp and with some practice I've noticed some improvements.  I am still trying to figure out 'fanning' but I found that if I go from a bottom up, I can avoid stamping over the previous one.  And yes, even stamping.  I need pick up a different weight mallet which I think will also help.  

Joe Meling has a good video on "bar grounding made simple" on YouTube. I don't know about simple, but it helped get me pointed in the right direction.

Yea, thanks for this.  I saw this awhile back and I practiced a bit first before I used it on a project.  But when I was reviewing the  piece I noticed that in the edge areas where the vines meet into a 'V' shape I went big on filling that space out and it looks a bit,...well... odd.    But at the end of this video, he showed how he tipped back the bar grounder to make it fade out... much nicer.   Yep, a good refresher.  I really love this craft!