toolleather

Removing mold from stone-oiled leather

Hello, 

I have purchased some hides that are now showing signs of mold on them.  How can I remove the mold and make sure it doesn't return.

Thanks

Mold1.jpg

mold2.jpg

28 minutes ago, toolleather said:

How can I remove the mold and make sure it doesn't return.

I'm not sure how to keep it from returning other than air the hides out every once in a while. But meanwhile, I use a saddle soap foam that I buy from Amazon. Provides a very gentle cleaning.

71eNCClOg1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, toolleather said:

Thanks, I'll try this.  

I apply it to the leather, swirl it around with my fingertips, then wipe it off with a clean micro-fiber cloth.

Make up a dilute solution of onion juice and wash the leather down with it. Rub it well into the affected areas.

Dab moldy areas with a cloth moistened with hydroalcoholic gel.
The hydroalcoholic gel is a disinfectant that is used to disinfect the hands but be careful, it can discolour the leather.
It is therefore necessary, before stain removal, to test it with a cotton bud on an inconspicuous spot.
If the cotton swab becomes coloured, do not continue stain removal.

To stop it coming back buy some Oil of Cloves and some teachers chalk. Dip the chalk in the oil of cloves and it will soak it up. Put the chalk into a thin cloth bag or better still one made from that material that goes behind curtains so the view is obscured when the curtains are open and hang the bag where the leather is stored. The oil of cloves will kill the mould spores. Finally after many months of reading posts on this site and learning from you alll I can make a post and help someone out. Thank you all. PS.. Just beware, the clove smell is pretty strong.

You can try tea tree oil mixed with other saddle oils .The mold is very hard to get rid of but you can stop the spores from emerging from the leathers so it doesn't spread to your other skins. Also sometimes its not mold but the tallows or oils coming to the top of the skins try a hair dryer on the spots ant see if they disappear back into the leather.

I know of two options that work well.  In all cases I would use saddle soap first.  Then I would follow that with teo lught coags of Rudys Tack and Saddle conditioner.  It contains a fungicide or mildewcide to help kill mold and prevent its return.  The other, more intense, option, is to use Concrobium powder and mix up a mold killer.  This stuff is used on wood, boats, etc., and I have used it successfully on leather also.

Clean with saddle soap and wipe it down with the yellow coloured Listerine. 

For those that are having trouble with leather going moldy or mildew while tooling and taking a break for a couple days with the leather bagged to preserve the moisture content (casing), add some Listerine to the casing water.

Tom