toxo

Rule steel project

After recently getting a one ton arbor press I wondered how useful it would be as a small clicker press. I ordered some rule steel which came in a box of sixty one metre lengths.

IMG_20200324_195431.jpg

The project I chose was something that was posted recently that I found interesting and was small enough. I used just two bars in a vice with a small gap and a pair of Stillsons to pull the steel.

IMG_20200324_185625.jpg

It wasn't easy but with some pushing and pulling and bashing I got it into a rough shape. Remember I wasn't trying to be exact, rather testing the feasabilityof the concept.

IMG-20200324-WA0026.jpg

Without putting a back on it I tested it with a steel plate on top and bottom with a silicon cutting board under the leather.

IMG-20200324-WA0030.jpg

I made the waist too thin which compromised the length of the zip but I only broke three needles :( entirely my fault. Then a couple of coats of neetsfoot oil.

IMG-20200325-WA0004.jpg

And finished. I seem to have lost the pic of it folded over the belt.  A coin purse that might be handy when walking down those dodgy dark alleys. As usual I learned a lot and am looking forward to making some tools to make the making easier and more precise. The thing I'd never thought of before was the two parts are completely identical and thus making the edges more perfect  which can never be achieved when cutting by hand.

IMG_20200326_120939__01.jpg

Edited by toxo

Possession of a "sap" or similar "scrote dissuader" ( this looks ever so much a very ingenious one ;) ) is an offence, IFAIR in the UK..plod may well take a dim view.

Edited by mikesc

3 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Possession of a "sap" or similar "scrote dissuader" ( this looks ever so much a very ingenious one ;) ) is an offence, IFAIR in the UK..plod may well take a dim view.

:) It just came into my head when I was looking for something small enough and it is just a coin purse your honour. The next one will be a handbag, promise.

Puts a nice meaning on 'to crown' someone!

Which type of steel rule die did you purchase?  I had the same idea, but didn't know which type to buy.

1 hour ago, CharlesG said:

Which type of steel rule die did you purchase?  I had the same idea, but didn't know which type to buy.

It comes in at least two profiles, bevelled both sides or just one side. I don't hink it matters for what we do. If IRC there's one smaller than the other. The smaller one comes 100 x 1 meter pieces in a box, the bigger one comes 60x 1 meter pieces  in a box. The trick is bending it. DIY is fine for the amount that I do.