SeanC

Leather Sewing Machines

I'm looking for my first sewing machine for leather and I'm undecided on what type of bed to get. Is there an advantage to one over the other between a post bed and cylinder arm? Also: I found a Siruba post bed locally for $995. Have any of you ever heard of this brand? Is it any good? Should I hold out for a cylinder arm machine?

If you buy a post bed you will need at least a mid size Cylinder arm also. The cylinder arm is your best bet in my opinion since they normally come with a flat bet attachment.

I have a Post Bed, Flat Bed and a Patcher along with a computerized Singer Domestic. I normally will use at least two of them for any project some times three.

Post Bed will handle size 33 to 138 thread with needles #10 to #24. Mid range Cylinder arm will handle #69 to #138 thread. 

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

https://dgsaddlery.com/tag/sewing-machine/

This is a pretty nice little intro into rational behind the different types of machines and their uses... at least a good place to start. I also recommend calling the guys at leather machine co. or Weaver... they are all super knowledgeable and will be able to answer even the most specific of questions and help you tailor your decision to what you are making. I would definitely go with a nicer machine that isn't used... there's nothing harder than working on a machine that other folks have had their hands on.

Last thing I would recommend is go with Cobra or Adler.

Post machines are great for sewing objects that are curved, like hats and for bag bottoms. I use my post machine whenever a cylinder arm or patcher can't feed in the right direction, or when sewing bag bottoms. The only problem with using a post machine exclusively is that there is no flat work surface. Also, unless you have a presser foot with an edge guide on it, or install (drill and tap) a drop down edge guide onto the back of the left side of the head, there is no way to maintain a straight line other than your own hands.

Most post machine buyers use them to sew shoe uppers. Others make hats and caps Still others make bags on them. I use mine to sew patchers onto caps.

There are three common feed systems on post machines: drop feed with a fixed foot, roller feed (some top and bottom driven) and compound feed walking foot. Shoe and boot makers prefer a roller foot because it give great visibility of where the needle is hitting the work. However, unless the roller is fairly wide it doesn't always hold down veg-tan leather as the needle ascends. Top and bottom driven rollers are able to keep multiple layers aligned and force feed slick-bottom materials.

I prefer a walking foot post bed machine, which I have in my Singer 168w101. It uses all the ubiquitous presser feet available for the model 111w155. These include spring loaded edge guide outside feet, available in distances from 1/8 to 5/16 inch from the needle. The wide feet hold down up to about 5/16 inch of medium temper leather, vinyl, or webbing. I can sew 3/8 inch of compressible material with it.

A fixed flat foot is less desirable for leather and vinyl because it tends to fight the bottom feed and drag the material on top. This feed is best limited to cloth or webbing sewing.

I know nothing about the Siruba brand.

You don't say what it is you intend to make, but in my opinion a cylinder arm is probably the most versatile overall if you're only going to have one machine. You can either make or buy a table attachment to emulate a flat bed machine. I made a table for my post bed, and made an edge guide, but I wouldn't consider it ideal as a first/only machine, that's how I started out but soon learned its limitations!

18 minutes ago, dikman said:

You don't say what it is you intend to make

Exactly, that is where you should start Sean, what if you are wanting to sew....... gloves....... Lol....

If it's your first, take time to research well before you jump to make a decision. Compare options both when it comes to their cost and how heavy- or light-duty they are, when it comes to their features, and so on. There are even models sort of made for beginners, in the sense that they are easier to use so that you pick up the trade faster. I suggest you look here https://popular.reviews/leather-sewing-machine/ and on as many other sites as possible, you are the only person who knows what you need, after all. My only advice is to buy original and preferably one with dial stitch selection cause those are just easier to work with, in my opinion at least. 

I could not ask anyone to use this guide if you are looking for a true leather sewing machine.

These all appear to be domestic sewing machine that may sew light leather. They are what I call Plastic Fantastic machines.

Sorry, but you need a better machine to sew leather with any sort of thickness over 1mm.

Off soapbox.

Bert.

5 hours ago, LoganWPF said:

If it's your first, take time to research well before you jump to make a decision. Compare options both when it comes to their cost and how heavy- or light-duty they are, when it comes to their features, and so on. There are even models sort of made for beginners, in the sense that they are easier to use so that you pick up the trade faster. I suggest you look here https://popular.reviews/leather-sewing-machine/ and on as many other sites as possible, you are the only person who knows what you need, after all. My only advice is to buy original and preferably one with dial stitch selection cause those are just easier to work with, in my opinion at least. 

Uh, NO! That guide will be totally useless for anybody wanting to actually sew leather. Those plastic body el-cheapo domestic sewing machines will break if somebody tries to sew real leather, using bonded nylon thread on them!

There are entry level leather sewing machines available through our paying advertisers and they look nothing like the junk on the landing page in that sewing machine review page. It is actually just an affiliate referral page. Leather sewing machines have cast iron bodies and large moving parts and heavy bearings. Everything on them has to be beefier than cloth sewing machines to withstand the pounding from penetrating leather and pulling up bonded thread between the layers.

That article is written by someone who has no idea what they're talking about! What I would call mis-information.