One for us leatherworkers who make coin pouches:  :lol:

paying in coin.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 3:33 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

One for us leatherworkers who make coin pouches:  :lol:

paying in coin.jpg

meh, I can beat that.

I worked on a Post Office counter a long time ago for a few years. I had a guy who didn't like to pay his annual car road tax so in protest he paid his and wifeys dues in 10p coins

Twice a year, once for each car, he paid the car road tax. At that time the tax was about £125 per car. Ten 10p to the £1.  :blink:   Of 8 counter workers I got nominated as the one to accept the payment. No biggie. Just kept-a-countin. Every time he told me to hurry up  :blahblahblah:   I 'lost count' ;) and had to start again  :lol:. He soon larnt to keep shtum. 

Actually, in the UK its an offence to pay a bill in more coins than necessary unless the receiver allows it. In the UK there is a limit to how many coins in a payment are 'legal' tender, but everyone ignores it. Money be money, roight?

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Actually, in the UK its an offence to pay a bill in more coins than necessary unless the receiver allows it. In the UK there is a limit to how many coins in a payment are 'legal' tender, but everyone ignores it. Money be money, roight?

Yup! Don't know if we have a similar rule here...never checked it out!

BTW, I hear there's a coin shortage right now...

I apologize for it.

I started a swear jar!  :ranting2:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

The lighter side of Portland. As a Lord of the Rings fan, this had me ROTFLOL. I'm sure the LARP players who are into armour making will appreciate it, too!

Actually, this happened in 2016...

As if the Portland Unipiper wasn't enough: High Elf, High on Acid, Attacks Woman's BMW With A Sword:

Portland, Ore. police responded to a 911 call at around 7 a.m. Tuesday morning from a woman who believed her car was under attack by a pirate. But instead of a routine pirate attack—oh, Portland—they discovered an armored man who claimed he was a High Elf.

He was at least half right. Although the man, dressed in chain mail and helmet, and equipped with sword, staff, and shield, wasn't actually an elf, he was definitely high.

Konrad Bass, 30, of Glendale, Ore., told officers he had taken LSD, and also identified himself as a "high-elf engaged in battle with the evil Morgoth." He was cited for criminal mischief and taken to a hospital.

Morgoth, the original dark lord and master of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings mythology, has at his command various Balrogs, rivers of fire, and, apparently, BMWs (the official car of the Dark Enemy and sponsor of the last battle).

The car survived the encounter, although police say it was left with several puncture marks.

Update: In an interview with Vocativ, Bass explained, "I wasn't in my right mind. I was still rocking my new pair of elf ears."

He mistook the car for a shapeshifting demon.

"I hopped on her hood and tried to pierce her tires with my master sword. I was trying to prove a point. Don't mess with a dark elf," he said.

Bass is also involved in Live Action Roleplaying (shocking!) and writes fantasy novels under the name Konrad McKane. Last time he dropped acid, he turned into a dragon.

https://gawker.com/high-elf-high-on-acid-attacks-womans-bmw-with-a-sword-1579493237?fbclid=IwAR0IjjjWdJvOsLrN8aZrUHv7T38HHcenPEHGs8yz5N-A2TRQHABrVG7fBFs

Edited by Sheilajeanne