Rannoch

Nigel Armitage's forthcoming book

This is just a PSA.  I noticed on Nigel Armitage's web page that he has a book forthcoming.  I emailed him for more information, but received no reply.  No worries.  I found the publisher, and here's a link: https://www.schifferbooks.com/leathercraft-traditional-handcrafted-leatherwork-skills-and-projects-6940.html

all the best

Edited by Rannoch

I would think that most of us on here will be looking forward to this

Nigel visits here at times.  Hopefully he will tell us more about it.  I'm interested!

7 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Nigel visits here at times.  Hopefully he will tell us more about it.  I'm interested!

@dangerous beans ..... What say you??   Tell us more!

- Bill

Well!!!...???

That is a surprise.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:28 PM, Rannoch said:

This is just a PSA.  I noticed on Nigel Armitage's web page that he has a book forthcoming.  I emailed him for more information, but received no reply.  No worries.  I found the publisher, and here's a link: https://www.schifferbooks.com/leathercraft-traditional-handcrafted-leatherwork-skills-and-projects-6940.html

all the best

Rannoch, I'm fairly sure there is no mention of this on my website and I have had no email from you, or anyone, asking about the book.

However... as Schiffer seems to have let the cat out of the bag, (I was keeping this quiet) yes. I am writing a book.
It is not yet the book I want to write, neither is it the book I have been asked to write.
I was asked to write what was, in essence, a craft-based project book but there are many like that already out there, so we came to a compromise.
There are of course projects and the techniques focus on the more modern tools rather than the traditional so pre-pricking of holes is the theme with very little awl work. I think trying to get over all the details of the traditional saddle stitch would take a book in itself.

The projects are in more detail than perhaps they expected, but hopefully, I have found the balance between what they wanted to hear against what I wanted to write.
I am by no stretch of the imagination a writer, I talk too much and go off-topic too often, it has been an education.
It is near completion, not near enough, but I will put it out there and take what critique is offered. Be kind.

Nigel
Budding author and horrendous procrastinator.  

Edited by Dangerous Beans
Wrong grammar!

https://www.amazon.com/Leathercraft-Traditional-Handcrafted-Leatherwork-Projects/dp/0764360396/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4PFVQHL67CN7&dchild=1&keywords=nigel+armitage&qid=1601900189&s=books&sprefix=nigel+armi%2Cstripbooks%2C154&sr=1-1

Bumping this thread as the book is complete and pre-orders are live!

The photos look great and we all know the reputation of the author so the teaching will be spot-on.

Hope it sells out and a 2nd edition is necessary!

Bumping this thread.  Hopefully someone will see it that owns the book and can give us a review of it.  It is on my list to purchase this year, just have other pressing matters.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:40 PM, Dangerous Beans said:

It is not yet the book I want to write, neither is it the book I have been asked to write.
I was asked to write what was, in essence, a craft-based project book but there are many like that already out there, so we came to a compromise.
There are of course projects and the techniques focus on the more modern tools rather than the traditional so pre-pricking of holes is the theme with very little awl work. I think trying to get over all the details of the traditional saddle stitch would take a book in itself.

Thanks a lot for explaining! Of course, traditional saddle stitch is the topic of about half a book which already exists, but I was still somewhat disappointed that from the little I could preview of your book it doesn't seem to be in there at all. I can understand Schiffer's reasoning - it must be easier to sell a book about making pretty things than one about the fundamentals of a craft (Interweave have sadly gone the same route recently) - but I want to at least be given a chance to do things the traditional way. If you ever get a chance to write the book you really want to write, please let us know! And you could tell Schiffer that there are people out there who want to learn techniques which they can then apply to lots of projects they think up on their own (I generally know what I want to make, but not necessarily how). Your projects seem to be interesting though, which is why I'll order the book.

My copy arrived, so here is my first impression, FWIW.  

The first thing that impressed me was the high quality and production value.  The photography is beautiful.  The printing, design, format and binding are all top notch.  It's a beautiful book.  There are plenty of opportunities to drool over Nigel's signature stitching, pattern making and finishing.  It's organized very well and projects proceed from one to the next in a graduated, intentional way so that the student, especially someone who is new to leatherwork, builds skills and understanding in an easy, natural flow.  The content is just what you would expect from Nigel Armitage.  It is, in a word, excellent.  This book is a good back up for Nigel's pattern packs, and people discovering Nigel through the book can move on to the pattern packs without missing a beat.  The fundamental techniques, skill sets and how-to, like pattern making, make this an essential volume for any serious leatherworker.  The projects themselves are not mind blowing (sorry Nigel), but they well serve the purpose of clearly showing the techniques and skills.  If you want mind blowing projects then order Nigel's pattern packs.  I give it five out of five stars.

As a side note, there is a strong European/British emphasis, which shouldn't come as a surprise, nor does it weaken the book for North American leatherworkers.  If the publisher, which is based in the US, had made a bit of an effort to include North American leather, hardware and tool suppliers it would have made the book slightly more useful.  Given the size of the North American market this is an irksome oversight.  I use Rocky Mountain Leather Supply in Utah quite a bit, and they would be a good source for many of the leathers, tools and hardware Nigel references.  Ordering from the UK can be expensive and a hassle.  Also, US Customs can sometimes be maddeningly difficult when it comes to importing leather.  Besides there are many excellent suppliers in North America.  Tandy, Weaver and the Buckle Guy will have much of what you might want after reading the book, however RMLS specializes in European tools, leather and threads.

I hope this has proven useful.

Edited by Rannoch
trying to make it a better bit of writing

@Rannoch Thanks for the review! But have I understood correctly, from the three pictures in Amazon and Nigels above message, that all the projects are made by punching the holes prior to stitching? Is the use of the awl explained at all?

Nigel sometimes drops in for a visit here.  I'm sure you could PM him for his input.

Leathercraft.Contents.jpg

Edited by Tugadude

I'll probably order both books (Armitage and Michal) and keep the one I like better. Or both, if I can't decide.

6 hours ago, Klara said:

@Rannoch Thanks for the review! But have I understood correctly, from the three pictures in Amazon and Nigels above message, that all the projects are made by punching the holes prior to stitching? Is the use of the awl explained at all?

Nigel does briefly explain how to use a pricking iron or wheel and an awl, but he quickly moves on to stitching irons as an easier and more accessible way of making holes for stitching.  He doesn't go into great detail on how to stitch with an awl, the method of which could make up a whole volume on its own.  The section on saddle stitching is well illustrated and well worth reading even if you've been saddle stitching for years.  Nigel always illuminates something for me, which is why I watch his videos over and over again. 

Overall, the book does a great job of keeping things simple and clear enough for beginners, while offering insights and details more skilled leatherworkers will appreciate.  

Nigel's daughter took the beautiful cover photo, and he sourced many of the other photos himself.  The photography is really great.  

Compared to other books on the market intended for beginners as well as advanced leather workers, this book stands out as being very good.  

1 hour ago, Klara said:

I'll probably order both books (Armitage and Michal) and keep the one I like better. Or both, if I can't decide.

What is the title you refer to as being by Michal?

Ooooh, going to put this on my birthday wish list!  :wub:

S

14 minutes ago, Rannoch said:

What is the title you refer to as being by Michal?

Sorry, lost an "e": Valerie Michael, The Leatherworking Handbook 

To be fair to Mr. Armitage, he has indicated that this isn't necessarily the book he has wanted to write.  I'm sure at some point he will offer a more comprehensive text on stitching with a saddler's awl.  

Update!  A second book is in the works.  You can find out more on Nigel's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ArmitageLeather/

55 minutes ago, Klara said:

. . .  Valerie Michael, The Leatherworking Handbook 

A most excellent book. I have it and I can recommend it

1 hour ago, Klara said:

S

Sorry, lost an "e": Valerie Michael, The Leatherworking Handbook 

That book is very good.  I have read through it several times and referred to it for years.  As good as it is, however, I think Nigel's book is better organized, more detailed, better illustrated, more useful to the beginner, and better written.  Of course, YMMV.  Valerie Michael's book covers some things Nigel's book doesn't, like wet molding, lining and rolled edges, so they compliment each other very nicely.  Both, I think, are essential.  

BTW, Al Stohlman's book THE ART OF HAND SEWING LEATHER is probably the best description I've found for hand stitching.

https://tandyleather.com/products/the-art-of-hand-sewing-leather-book

That's the one I started with and I love it! Probably I'm showing my age now, but I often learn more easily from a drawing than from a photo. Or a video, because everything happens so fast in them. Stohlman really has a knack for pointing out what is important.

And I've found that I really like the saddle stitch. No, it's not easy, but each perfect stitch, where the left needle follows effortlessly the retreating awl, is a success. I'm also pretty sure that most problems will be solved over the first kilometer of stitching. Besides, I'm making dog collars, where the inside is rarely seen. Not to mention that I don't really see the stitching when the collar is on the dog...

I watched Nigel's video on making a box, and I completely understood his reasoning for pre-punching all the holes in this case. But a whole book without awl use seems somewhat lacking to me. If I've understood Nigel's above post correctly, he wanted to write a book about leather craftsmanship for enthusiasts whereas Schiffer wanted to publish a book about making pretty things from leather which would appeal to as  any people as possible. 

@Rannoch You clinched it, I'll have to order both books. And from the sound of it, keep them, too...

32 minutes ago, Klara said:

That's the one I started with and I love it! Probably I'm showing my age now, but I often learn more easily from a drawing than from a photo. Or a video, because everything happens so fast in them. Stohlman really has a knack for pointing out what is important.

And I've found that I really like the saddle stitch. No, it's not easy, but each perfect stitch, where the left needle follows effortlessly the retreating awl, is a success. I'm also pretty sure that most problems will be solved over the first kilometer of stitching. Besides, I'm making dog collars, where the inside is rarely seen. Not to mention that I don't really see the stitching when the collar is on the dog...

I watched Nigel's video on making a box, and I completely understood his reasoning for pre-punching all the holes in this case. But a whole book without awl use seems somewhat lacking to me. If I've understood Nigel's above post correctly, he wanted to write a book about leather craftsmanship for enthusiasts whereas Schiffer wanted to publish a book about making pretty things from leather which would appeal to as  any people as possible. 

@Rannoch You clinched it, I'll have to order both books. And from the sound of it, keep them, too...

I don't know what the actual numbers are as far as people involved in leatherworking, but I am led to believe that it is a shrinking business.  I'm referring to quality, handmade products.  Beginners are going to have almost immediate success with their stitching if they follow Nigel's instruction.  He teaches how far from the edge to make your stitch line, how to scribe it and how to use the stitching chisels properly and finally how to stitch it.  If someone is careful to follow his guidance, they can come away with an attractive project the first time around.  If he taught them to rely solely on pricking iron or stitching groover and awl, probably not.  So yes, the book is designed to offer the most approachable method for beginners to have success.  And hopefully that success translates in them remaining in the craft.  At a later date they can and should learn to use an awl properly.  Then it is up to them to choose which way to go or to use the right tool for each respective job.  Sometimes that might be a stitching chisel.

I have completed projects with an awl, so I'm not speaking as one that only uses stitching irons, but I do find myself using the irons for most of my work.  I am a hobbyist, not a professional but I'm proud of the level of stitching I've acquired and am happy with my results.  And I owe it all to watching Nigel's videos.  

I have nothing against stitching irons - except their price ;) And that I might end up working over a round form... The way I understand it, as long as I know how to use the awl, it doesn't matter how I mark my stitches. Or even whether - I just re-read The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin and he just mentions awl and needles (and a master saddler with decades of experience to oversee the work) for sewing the leather boat he then sailed from Ireland to America (great book, btw.) 

Slight change of topic: Leatherwork might be a shrinking business compared to video games, but it's a hell of a lot better off than handspinning, dyeing and weaving. Quite possibly because handspinning has a steep learning curve and there is no way around learning to do it properly. No shortcuts, no workaround (but you can still easily spend a fortune on tools and fibres - leatherworking isn't all that expensive by comparison).

35 minutes ago, Klara said:

Slight change of topic: Leatherwork might be a shrinking business compared to video games, but it's a hell of a lot better off than handspinning, dyeing and weaving. Quite possibly because handspinning has a steep learning curve and there is no way around learning to do it properly. No shortcuts, no workaround (but you can still easily spend a fortune on tools and fibres - leatherworking isn't all that expensive by comparison).

umm, you've not being doing this lark very long have you ? :lol:  (thats a joke btw)

A bit off topic; when my local library was open, over a year ago now, the librarian used to order in any new leatherwork books which came up on the system. Then she kept said books aside for me. In just one occasion she had 10 new books. I / we went through them. All the books followed the same format - lots of pages on tools and explanations of leather. Then, basically, all the books had the same projects in them, the only variations were in construction or style, and only one book was really different. The author did all the projects on an industrial sewing machine and he insisted that you needed an industrial leather sewing machine to do his projects (umm, no, they were standard projects which could be sewn by hand). Who, just starting out, is going to spend over £2500 on his type of sewing machine for a few 'home' projects ?.  Other than this book, not one, not a single one, explained how to use a sewing awl, choice of needles and why, or even how to sew. None of the books explained how to fit a 'snap' - it was just eg 'Stage 5, fit the snap'

imo, Someone needs to take the best of Al Stohlman's instructions, up date them and add them to some thought provoking interesting projects. Skip the 34 pages of showing tools and variations of leather and get right to the casing of veg tan for tooling.

enuf waffle