I've never thought of this before but how does thread do on those things? Forgive my ignorance, I don't even know if firefighters wear the radio into fires. I'd figure that thread would be one of the first things to go all melty in a fire. Is there nomex thread? How does a comms system hold up in a fire? Sorry, I'd never thought of designing any leather thing for such a ridiculously harsh environment before.

Great looking stap, btw!

9 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I've never thought of this before but how does thread do on those things? Forgive my ignorance, I don't even know if firefighters wear the radio into fires. I'd figure that thread would be one of the first things to go all melty in a fire. Is there nomex thread? How does a comms system hold up in a fire? Sorry, I'd never thought of designing any leather thing for such a ridiculously harsh environment before.

Great looking stap, btw!

So I have never looked into fire resistant thread. But traditionally you wear the strap underneath your bunker gear. This protects its from direct heat and water plus other harms. Also helps keep carcinogens off leather also. My strap has been through probably 10 to 12 fires and never had a problem. Our radios hold up well. I think they are rated for 500 to 600 degrees and the collar mics are usually first to fail. I have personally never had this happen. 

nice...love Stitch

Would you please explain how you do the lettering? Do you stamp the letter and then paint it with a brush? Do you do the outside color first or the inside color first? What paint do you use?