TomWisc

Covid-19 face masks

I know this is not leather related but I also know you guys are the ones who can answer my question. I am getting ready to make face masks, not N95, but better than a bandana. I hope you will help me with some answers. I could look it up but trying to get going NOW. I have a Seiko STH8BLD3 sewing machine. All I have is leather needles. I have SCHMENZ needles. I want to order fabric needles from Amazon to sew fabric. I am going to use 69 thread because I have lots of it. 

What needles should I order to do fabric for face masks. Our ER nurses need these. 

Thanks for your help...

Tom;

You need to use cotton or polyester over cotton thread and the tiniest needle that will pass it without shredding it. That would normally translate to standard sewing thread with a #11 or 12 needle. The thread is about half the diameter of #69 and is not bonded. The thread has to give as the mask flexes. The needle holes must be filled with thread to prevent germs, moisture from patients and other pathogens from entering through the needle holes. The needles should be standard round point, not leather.

This kind of work is best performed on a drop feed or needle feed straight stitch machine. Walking foot machines tend to push cloth into the feed dog hole.

Don't forget to disinfect the sewing machine body, table, throat plate, feed dog, presser foot/feet, needle and top and bottom thread and the shuttle before you start sewing. The masks need to be sterilized before delivery and don't forget to include bendable metal nose strips of some kind.

Thanks Wiz. A wealth of information from you is greatly appreciated. I have an old standard sewing machine that has been in storage for many years. I will give that one a try rather than the leather machine.

Thanks Mike for the link.

I believe that it has been discovered that COVID spreads not only via droplets but via airborne virions too. Masks might be non-efficient to useless. Especially less than N95, homemade masks.

As to stitching textiles, you want polyester thread because it is somewhat elastic. Poly wrapped cotton is not elastic. Non-bonded, multi-strand nylon is elastic as well, if you cannot get a hold of poly.

Depending on what your technology is, you may be better off using non-spun serger thread since it is the most elastic of all types.

Here's a face mask fabricating video, for our guys with 3-D printers: