DonInReno

Adding groove to hand wheel

While cruising through eBay the hand wheel on this model 7 caught my eye - a v belt groove seems to be added to the factory hand wheel eliminating the need for the separate pulley.

I’ve always liked the size, look and feel of the singer patcher hand wheel and with a v belt groove I wouldn’t mind retrofitting a couple machines with them - just much more classic looking than a big ordinary pulley.

My question is, has anyone tried machining a singer handwheel?  Some cast iron has so many hard spots that it’s difficult to machine.  

tia

1D87AE20-15A8-46E6-A2A9-252A939E7331.jpeg

808F3563-D19D-4043-9E23-F52B3BCBC65B.jpeg

I had one done by a nice guy out of Vancouver, Canada. It was for the spoke wheel from my Singer 66.  He even included an adapter for the motor for proper alignment. I ordered two more but he fell ill and never got around to it. He had a Facebook page but it has since been deleted. When I am in the shop tomorrow I will be sure to take a picture of mine and post it. 

Karina 

Edit: Found a pic on my home computer of the handwheel

Singer-66.png

Edited by veedub3
Found pic

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

some of the Chinese made Singer 29K closes have a grove in the hand wheel.

just to give you an idea - not sure if that helps...

I never noticed those before!  That’s the exact idea I have in mind for an old 29-4 hand wheel.

I’m somewhat shocked that there’s only one source of 29-4 hand wheels on eBay right now and the prices are $75 US once shipping is factored in.

Edited by DonInReno

3 hours ago, veedub3 said:

I had one done by a nice guy out of Vancouver, Canada. It was for the spoke wheel from my Singer 66.  He even included an adapter for the motor for proper alignment. I ordered two more but he fell ill and never got around to it. He had a Facebook page but it has since been deleted. When I am in the shop tomorrow I will be sure to take a picture of mine and post it. 

Karina 

Edit: Found a pic on my home computer of the handwheel

Singer-66.png

That turned out very nice on your machine.    Since it’s a more common thing than originally thought I feel much better about getting a few vintage wheels to try it on.  I do have a small lathe that can cut the groove, it will just take a long time since small cuts are all it’s able to do.

Cast iron machines hard but grinds easily. You could rig a dremel or angle grinder to the table of your machine and use it to create the grove, while turning the wheel on the machine. I imagine that a few 2x4x nailed together could do the trick of mounting a dremel steadily. Remember to cover the rest of the machine with tarp, while doing it.

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Remember to cover the rest of the machine with tarp, while doing it.

:lol:Yeah, that cast iron/cast steel dust gets everywhere (particularly when grinding it)!!

Carbide lathe tips should work, just take small cuts, as you said.

Karina:  why the grooved handwheel on the 66?  Is it for better power at low speeds?  Just wondering.  I haven't seen a domestic machine rigged like that before.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:11 AM, rodneywt1180b said:

Karina:  why the grooved handwheel on the 66?  Is it for better power at low speeds?  Just wondering.  I haven't seen a domestic machine rigged like that before.

Yes, greater ratio between motor pulley and the larger hand wheel pulley slows down the sewing speed.