DrmCa

Did anyone experiment with making your own edge paint?

I am tempted to try fast-curing polyurethane resins with pigments. Did anyone try to make your own?

I haven't made my own edge paints, per se. However, on both veg tan and chrome leathers I have used India ink to "dye" the edges (to match or compliment the color of the leather) and, when the ink is dry, I have painted over the ink with Mod Podge, an acrylic application. Both are inexpensive and readily available at art-supply stores. It is effective and long-lasting, and the color from the India ink does not bleed. The advantage of Mod Podge is that it can provide a matte, satin or gloss finish to the edge. It is effective and long-lasting, and the color from the India ink does not bleed; I have been carrying around in my front pocket a wallet I made 5 years ago, and the applications to the edges are still holding up.

I don't have the results yet, but I'll be dyeing the edges with water-based dye (it's what I have) and then use Tokonole. I believe that should give a similar result to edge paint.

Apparently edge kote is just gesso+dye.  You could make a 2 litre bucket for about $30

What is gesso?

Gesso is a paint with a filler, such as talc or gypsum which artists paint on their raw canvas before painting.

As it has a filler it can be put on to canvas, and historically onto shields, thickly and built up to give a 3 D effect

Not all edge paints are created equal.  And if you want something that is going to hold up, gesso ain't it.

Thanks. I'm assuming gesso is not elastic, then? Rules it out in my eyes.

@fredkBut would dye and your floor polish work? (I forgot to check what is sold over here  - just never go into the aisle with cleaning supplies...)

Gesso is very fragile after a while. I can and will crack off its substrate after time. Its a bane of art restorers

My 'floor polish' on its own, with or without dye, is too thin as a 'paint'. It will seal the edge and several coats will build up something like a painted edge but then it too becomes rather un-flexible. Perhaps if a neutral filler such as talc is added to it as well to give it some body it might work. I occasionally use the 'polish' with talc added as a fine line filler on my model aeroplanes

Well I didn't say gasso makes edge paint, I said that apparently it makes edge kote based on what I've read. 

And I haven't tried it because I don't really use edge paint so I can't comment on durability or flexibility.

I have used edge kote on projects though and it still seems fairly durable and flexible a couple of years later.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, Tugadude said:

Not all edge paints are created equal.  And if you want something that is going to hold up, gesso ain't it.

I know, but the best edge paints that people recommend are not necessarily available in all parts of the world.   And instead of ordering from overseas during COVID times where shipping can take months and months, it might be worth experimenting with materials from a local art shop.

Not everybody needs the absolute best.

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I'm making a large tote bag out of 3.5-oz ... not sure exactly what kind of leather it is, but it's not dyed through. It's dark brown, but the cut edges are pale and I don't like how that looks. I don't have edge paint and don't really want to wait for an order to arrive.... Has anyone ever used regular acrylic paint? (I have a bunch of Liquitex acrylic.) How is it different? I've never used edge paint and don't know much about it. I'll order some if it's really necessary, and would appreciate recommendations for what would work best here. (I'm in the U.S..) Thanks in advance!

IMG_8857.jpg.ca3de4b5e728316a4826d92b483fe185.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 12:44 AM, Klara said:

@fredkBut would dye and your floor polish work? (I forgot to check what is sold over here  - just never go into the aisle with cleaning supplies...)

My favorite edge dye is a 50:50 mixture of Pro Dye and Martin's Edge Solution.  Dye and burnish in one step, similar to the traditional dye/glue mixes that @jcuk posted.  The Martin's Edge Solution smells a bit like acrylic floor wax but the burnished edge remains permeable to additional coats of dye.  I finish the edge with a waxy conditioner or hot beeswax.  Don't know what's in Edge Solution, but in my experience it produces more consistent results for bridle leather edges than other methods I've tried.   

35 minutes ago, Eirewolf said:

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I'm making a large tote bag out of 3.5-oz ... not sure exactly what kind of leather it is, but it's not dyed through. It's dark brown, but the cut edges are pale and I don't like how that looks. I don't have edge paint and don't really want to wait for an order to arrive.... Has anyone ever used regular acrylic paint? (I have a bunch of Liquitex acrylic.) How is it different? I've never used edge paint and don't know much about it. I'll order some if it's really necessary, and would appreciate recommendations for what would work best here. (I'm in the U.S..) Thanks in advance!

It's standard practice to dye the edges of leather that has been dyed at the tannery and your edge treatment can really enhance the look of a bag - worth your time and some experimentation. I've never used an edge paint but I'd be concerned about how flexible it is and if it would wear well.  My vote would be to test whether the edge can be burnished with something like Tokonole or Martin's Edge Solution.  If it can be burnished then I would dye and burnish the edges instead of painting.  

7 hours ago, Eirewolf said:

I've never used edge paint and don't know much about it. I'll order some if it's really necessary,

No, it's not necessary. I don't know anything about acrylic paint, though. For the leather you are showing, oil might darken the edges enough to fit in with the surface. For a really dark edge you could use vinegaroon (basically iron in vinegar - recipes somewhere in this forum). Or you could buy a bottle of leather dye of some sort. And then burnish the edges with beeswax.

I'd cut off some scraps and experiment with what is in the house. Btw, question to everybody: Shouldn't shoe polish work?

Now, if you want edges like these, you'll probably need edge paint. And practice, patience and elbow grease:

Personally, I make things for my everyday use and my edge treatments are very summarily. Just a light rubbing with beeswax or Tokonole (if the leather is dark, I generally use vinegaroon beforehand) and the real polishing happens in use.

@Eirewolf, if you have a Tandy close by you could get leather acrylic paints. You might get them in a Hobby Lobby as well. They work for edges and actual edge paints seem to be the same, only thicker. 

@Klara You use vinegaroon for edges? How do you do that? I tried it on a dark brown scrap and it seeped inside to form an uneven edge. 

The time it would take to properly test out an unknown homemade edge paint would be the time it takes to wait for an order. Unless of course you are just testing things out to see what works in the mean time. I wouldn't use an unknown in work that is to go for sale or an order especially for edges, they flex and move and get rubbed and chaffed so much with use.

Personally, I find regular acrylics, even high end ones, don't look nice on leather like the acrylics made for leather do.

There's lots of Pre formulated and long time tested edge paint works great and goes a long way, imo. I like tandy's ecoflo edge flex paint(rebranded Fenix, works just like it has. The only 'ecoflo' product i've ever used that works decent for me, imo.)

Sorry, I don't remember what I used to apply the vinegaroon. Probably a small brush, but it might have been a Q-tip or small sponge. I guess the surface treatment of the leather stopped seepage from showing. Except for one place (bottom picture), though I suspect that's more that I misapplied it than real seepage. Don't care, the bag holds my card reader and headphones. I would not use vinegaroon with natural coloured leather. 

And I always try just things on pieces of scrap which I keep for this purpose. 20230912_174826.thumb.jpg.a61cc4c063bc81910b79540de3770faf.jpg20230912_174846.thumb.jpg.50275ad6fb36643ec76345d74bc0bd85.jpg

Acrylic craft paint works fine, but you have to thin the first coat to get good penetration, and build up from there to your desired look. But it is only a matte finish and needs clear coat for a gloss finish.

@Klara, thank you for showing me what you made. I tried on scrap leather as well and because it seeped, I did not use it on my final piece. A small knife sheath for my use but perfect for learning.

I wish I could use vinageroon  on edges, since that is one dye, if you call it that, that does not transfer or crack.

Well, you can always try again on a smal scrap from your next project. If it's different leather, it might work. I love vinegaroon as well, unlike edge paint which I find rather unforgiving...

@Klara yes I plan to do that. Recently I have been working with chrome-tanned leathers. But once I start on Veg tanned again, I will experiment. I usually get all my chrome-tanned leathers from Springfield or Leather Guy but veg-tanned is from Tandy and not very good. Maybe that is why I did not get a good result. Will get some from one of the other stores now. I want to try Korba from Buckle Guy. I ordered their samples and really liked that leather.

Edited by SUP