Hi there, anyone know where I can get an online version of patterns like these? I want to buy it, but i'm not keen on paying 30€ for shipping (and the wait time). 

Also my search engine here seems to be broken abit (searching "hat" returns nothing"), so I appreciate all the help.

Cheers

Screenshot_12.png

pm51.jpg

Etsy shop by Bonnie Bowman has these available. Also the editor of Blackpowder News in Iowa sells pioneer style patterns. Good luck!

This link should take you there (I hope)...

https://etsy.me/2PnvH82

Edited by fiskurjoe

Thanks! I also found out that in America oca its also called a "coonskin cap" and that brings many more results. 

Cheers

All due to Daniel Boone probably...

Thanks for everything. I decided to just wing it and I made a pattern myself and made a hat from some cheap fur i had, to get a feel of how it sits. 

One thing, alot of sites mention a  "blanket stitch" for sewing. I just saddle stitched it with a 1mm waxed thread and it looks nice. So is saddle stitching ok, or can it rip? 

Im sorry for all the questions, but fox furs here arent really cheap and i dont want to ruin them. 

Cheers 

9 minutes ago, Kovac said:

Thanks for everything. I decided to just wing it and I made a pattern myself and made a hat from some cheap fur i had, to get a feel of how it sits. 

One thing, alot of sites mention a  "blanket stitch" for sewing. I just saddle stitched it with a 1mm waxed thread and it looks nice. So is saddle stitching ok, or can it rip? 

Im sorry for all the questions, but fox furs here arent really cheap and i dont want to ruin them. 

Cheers 

A blanket stitch is the same as a running whip stitch....where it goes from one hole ---> over the edge---> and into the next hole - one needle attached to the thread. Most furs are soft and not very strong leather. If you didn't pull it tight and just snug the saddle stitch, I think you will be fine. I used a saddle stitch on rabbit fur when I made my hat. I also used the blanket stitch (whip stitch).