rodneywt1180b

Kenney Crutches

This is my third attempt at getting these crutches right.  The style was invented in the 1920s by a Sister Kenney IIRC.  I don't think I've seen a pair in use or maybe just never noticed before.  Not often seen a any rate and almost no one builds them any more.  These were a custom request from a lady on the east coast.  Her old set was worn out and the builder of her last set isn't around anymore.

My first attempt was bent lamination on the wood.  I had so many problems with the glue-up I ended up scrapping them.  These are my second attempt at the wood portion.  They're one-piece steam bent walnut.  My first set of cuffs were too big.  Built to the customer's supplied measurements but they didn't fit.  The bottom line is the lady needs her crutches so I re-did the cuffs and re-bent the wood to fit them.  I really don't mind.  It gave me a chance to change a couple things I wasn't happy with the first time.  If I do it again I'll pay the extra for thicker leather on the outers.  This was just a little thin.  I'm hoping they're right this time.  They leave to their owner tomorrow.

The cuffs are from a 7-8 oz shoulder from Springfield dyed with Angelus dye on the outside.  The inner leather is black nubuck from Springfield and the insides are 16 gauge steel and 1/4" closed cell foam.  They're stitched with 1mm Tiger thread.

The lady requested smaller handles.  They're more of the same shoulder leather stitched over wood cores.

This was a fun and challenging project and a nice change of pace from my usual work.

The first picture is one of the original cuffs from before I was done finishing the wood.

DSCN4686 (1).JPG

DSCN4693.JPG

DSCN4694.JPG

DSCN4695.JPG

DSCN4696.JPG

That is pretty cool.  The only thing I see would be the exposed bolt that would rub on your arm that could be irritating over time.

Super kudos to you for taking on such a challenging design and build.  I hope they serve the owner well, and that it garners you some additional orders.

YinTx

Thanks.  The Chicago screw is inset enough that I don't think it'll be a problem.  There's also brass bushings in the wood so the screws won't wear on the wood.   I went that route because they need to pivot some. The customer's originals used copper rivets to attach the cuffs and she told me the wood was worn out there at the pivot points.  I'm hoping this setup will be better.  They should be able to be serviced if needed in the future.

Good results on such a custom project. Hope they work well for her.

I do too.  I just sent them back yesterday afternoon.  I'll find out in a couple days.