Sign in to follow this  
niles

Singer 96K46 ???

Hi there mates,

I was wondering if there is anyone who can help answer my question?

I am offered a Singer 96K46 in good working order, is is suitable for leather work and worth anything?

thank you very much!

regards niles

Edited by niles

@niles Moved to leather sewing machines.  "help wanted" posts require approvals before they can be seen by the membership.  All subsequent posts by members to that thread also require approvals.

You'll find more help here as well.

Tom

thank you for assisting me!

2 hours ago, niles said:

I am offered a Singer 96K46 in good working order, is is suitable for leather work and worth anything?

The 96- and 96k class machines are strictly for sewing cloth garments with light weight cotton or polyester thread and very small needles. I used to own a Singer 96k40 and fought with it to try to sew a leather vest together. Even converting it into a roller foot machine only had limited improvement. I finally gave up and started buying walking foot machines (that kept getting bigger and heavier duty!).

Unless you intend to sew mostly cloth and only occasionally thin leather, avoid this machine. If you want to use it to sew cloth garments or protective face masks, it is worth a hundred and a half, or so. Maybe $200 if they throw in a lot of thread, needles, bobbins and attachments. It will probably have a big, heavy, power hungry clutch motor that runs very fast.

thank you for your answer wizcraft!!  i will not go for this one. Although i also found a 45K1 , would that be better?

regards , niles

Question is what kind of leather work do you want to do? The 45K1 is a heavy drop feed sewing machine w/o reverse, it can sew approx 10-12mm leather. Its has an aggressive feed dog and the feed dog will leave marks on the underside. But hey - generations of leather workers have used this type of machine... So it depends on the product if these marks matter or not. I have a drop feed 45K too (cylinder arm 45D91 to be precise) and the feed dog marks do not bother me. But I mainly do rather "rough" leather work like leather handles for crates and the like or I repair vintage holster, military police equipment and stuff like that. Often you do not see the underside or it just does not matter cause the original leather item, (like military holsters) already has feed dog marks. So it depends...

Edited by Constabulary

i am looking for an addition on my singer 29K 51 and 71 and my junker & ruh. i also have a 201K. so maybe this fits in between?  what would you suggest i get for finer work? like wallets and bags? 

a walking foot / triple feed cylinder arm sewing machine maybe with addition of a flat bed attachment. Like Pfaff 335, Adler 69., Pfaff 345, Adler 169 or similar.... depends on what available on your local market.

do you know which machine this is?

IMG_0853.JPG

216?

Domestic Singers sewing machines are not what I`m interested in so honestly I do not know. So wild guess - a Singer 216 maybe?

yep that is what i found, it is really strong though, so with leather needle this might work just fine for soft leather