DrmCa

Round (tubular) pricking irons - are they useful for anything other than criss-cross?

I got a present: a set of 4mm round pricking irons. They did not know better and bought this set. I cannot return it since it came from overseas.

So now I am wondering if they can be used for anything other than criss-cross stitching that I do not do much if at all.

When you say "4mm" I'm assuming that's the stitch spacing, correct? And when you say "pricking irons" I'm assuming that you're talking about a round dent type mark on the leather used as a spacing indicator and not a chisel that is punching all the way through the leather. Correct?

If they are, indeed, pricking irons, it's no problem as your awl position can dictate the stitch. If they are chisels, I'd use them and enjoy them. 

I don't mind the look of stitching on round holes. (Obviously an aesthetic lowbrow.) And yes, there's always a hue and cry about how a "French hole" or "diamond hole" will offer better "structure" to the stitch line but unless the leather is paper thin I don't think it makes that big a difference.

Either way, enjoy.

Regards,

Arturo

Many of the design templates are drawn for use with round punch holes, it would appear most use 1.5mm holes but i don't know the spacing they use. have a look at https://www.leather-patterns.com/ this guy makes many designs

2 hours ago, Arturomex said:

When you say "4mm" I'm assuming that's the stitch spacing, correct? And when you say "pricking irons" I'm assuming that you're talking about a round dent type mark on the leather used as a spacing indicator and not a chisel that is punching all the way through the leather. Correct? 

Arturo

Darn! I have used the wrong terminology! Thank you!

No, I actually meant chisels that have tubular punches and holes above them for the leather rounds to fall off.

Mine are approximately 1/16" in diameter, spaced at 4mm.

Also, useful for turned items where you don't want the stitch to show on the outside.  Diagonal/diamond/slot pricking irons will show the stitch when you turn the item.

YinTx

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Darn! I have used the wrong terminology! Thank you!

No, I actually meant chisels that have tubular punches and holes above them for the leather rounds to fall off.

Mine are approximately 1/16" in diameter, spaced at 4mm.

LOL - It's not you, my friend. It's a barren, lawless wasteland of contradictory terminology out there when it comes to these tools. There's some stuff here:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/88881-stitching-chiselsirons-and-pricking-irons-reviews-and-information/?tab=comments#comment-607877

At that hole size/spacing you could get into some nice stuff with 1mm + thread.

Regards,

Arturo

Arturo, thanks for linking that thread!  It is what I hoped it would be, a quick reference.

Yes, the round chisel can be helpful as discussed above.  Round holes and beefy thread looks decent.  Or use them for the turned bags as YinTX  suggests.