Prusty

Re-learning hand stitching

So I had to take a fairly long break from leatherwork after a bad period of health and a significant hand injury. I've been back at it since the end of last year, and I've noticed my hand-stitching has degraded, particularly the reverse of whatever I'm stitching. What once felt natural and easy is now awkward and frustratingly difficult. You should be able to see in the photos below how the stitch line wobbles about a bunch. For context, using Amy Roke irons with a 1.8mm wide awl, held in a saddlers clam.

Does anyone have any advice they could give for getting better at hand stitching, in particular advice on how to keep the awl going through at the right angle? If anyone has been in the same position I'd love to hear how they got past it, or even just to be told that it will take time and patience. Anything right now would be a big help!

0E2FB958-35D8-4CFC-8903-210D736A0B58.jpeg

15FF3340-E375-4DEF-AC48-3FD4DE4E9840.jpeg

4A36385E-9CB5-4B0E-8A53-5E81C25D02D5.jpeg

B2FEC973-18B6-4A09-BB44-EE648BD20EAF.jpeg

8E866BE2-FE58-4361-9AF8-0F14D25F9911.jpeg

9B448E45-7921-4498-8F7B-609DE282661D.jpeg

Me I would be happy if that was my stitching

So you're saying I need to hurt my hand/s to get stitches that nice then? ;)

Yeah, me too @chrisash. I struggle to get one side looking good and I do this nearly everyday and without a hand injury!

I'DE ALMOST BET YOUR A PERFECTIONIST  !

THOSE LOOK  PDG to me .

As previous people have said it looks pretty good to me.

Here is a tip i was taught when i was training,  to keep the Awl at the same angle push your Awl through a prick mark hold it there and with your other hand put a mark where your thumb is gripping the Awl, use a permanent marker once you have marked it take it - out cut a notch into Awl handle where you have made the mark colour in the notch with the marker so every time you use your Awl make sure you put your thumb on that mark. 

He is another way that may help you, have not tried this myself but seems to make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OO-M_M6FLs

Hope this helps

JCUK  

18 hours ago, jcuk said:

As previous people have said it looks pretty good to me.

Here is a tip i was taught when i was training,  to keep the Awl at the same angle push your Awl through a prick mark hold it there and with your other hand put a mark where your thumb is gripping the Awl, use a permanent marker once you have marked it take it - out cut a notch into Awl handle where you have made the mark colour in the notch with the marker so every time you use your Awl make sure you put your thumb on that mark. 

He is another way that may help you, have not tried this myself but seems to make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OO-M_M6FLs

Hope this helps

JCUK  

Thanks mate, I’ll give that a shot, both the notch and the ring. Gives me an excuse to buy a new awl or two!

I don't see any problem with the quality of your stitching. I do know that the geometry of your awl, most specifically the TIP dictates the path the awl wants to take through the leather.

No worries, let us know how you get on, one thing i do know we all are our worst critics.

All the best

JCUK

As everyone has said, your stitching is pretty top notch.  If you were to zoom in and really get super picky, you might see some issue with the pricking iron marks not being perfectly aligned - overlap 2 or more tines to help with that.  Sometimes having uneven linen thread can cause stitches to not look perfect, nothing you can do about that other than change brand. Also, looking at the last photos, your real issue may simply be one of uneven tension.  Buffing and tapping down the stitch can improve the look, and practice will improve the tension.  Sometimes less is better.  

Overall, no one in the rest of the world outside of leatherworkers is going to look at that stitch and notice anything awry.  Heck, most of us would be just complimenting your stitching and wishing we were as good, not critiquing it!

YinTx

Not bad for someone thats had a break from leatherwork . The stitching is just fine .  :thumbsup: So I'm not sure how you can improve something that already  looks great. 

HS