What is the best glue out there? Im wanting something that is really secure, permanent, and that will last forever. Any suggestions?

You will get plenty of responses to use Barge or Weldwood contact cement, these work I used Weldwood until I found the Aquila(spelling may be off) water based contact cement.  I use it exclusively now, I can use it in the house as it is odorless and non flammable.  I can not tell the difference between it and Weldwood.  All of my holsters are lined and I have not had any issues with the layers separating.

Todd

1 hour ago, Hildebrand said:

You will get plenty of responses to use Barge or Weldwood contact cement, these work I used Weldwood until I found the Aquila(spelling may be off) water based contact cement.  I use it exclusively now, I can use it in the house as it is odorless and non flammable.  I can not tell the difference between it and Weldwood.  All of my holsters are lined and I have not had any issues with the layers separating.

Todd

This^^

Aquilim 315 is like Barge/Weldwood but will keep you married if you use it in the house. I still like Barge and Weldwood, but similar bond strength without toxic fumes...the choice is pretty easy. Another plus for Aquilim for me is that it seems a bit easier to work with and doesn't get all stringy. It may take a minute or too longer to get tacky but no fumes wins that debate for me too. It's all I use now too with Barge/Weldwood being my backups in case I can no longer get Aquilim.

Surface prep and application play a large roll in the success.  I've found that applying a thin coat, allowing it to get tacky and then applying another thin coat is better than applying a thicker coat. 

Renia Colle de Cologne.

I also use water-based Renia Aquilim 315, but I've found that it can come apart. I mostly use to secure the leather whilst stitching.

Colle de Cologne is permanent.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, nategines said:

What is the best glue out there? Im wanting something that is really secure, permanent, and that will last forever. Any suggestions?

This may sound funny, but I think I have tried them all, the the best I have found for lasting strength, especially on blade sheaths is "Elmers Glue All" I did a lot of experiments, and have found nothing better.

Even the old white school has a tensile strength of 3000 lbs when cured.....Try it sometime....

cltech9, interesting.  I'm a Barge fan, but shipping is a pain.  Youd think it was symtex or something with all the restrictions. 

Check with Tannery Row. They sell a water based adhesive that comes in three different controls. I use Aquilim, but have thought about Tannery's third style. it is advertised a an adhesive that requires no stitching, a permanent adhesive on its own.

I'm slowly migrating back to Barge. I tried the Aquilim but in my experience so far, it isn't quite as strong of a bond as Barge, not even close really. That doesn't mean that Aquilum doesn't have an application but for any hard use item, I'd get out the nose clamps and use the Barge...the stuff is the best bond in leather.

Water based glues are sensitive.  You can't let them freeze, which is why if I can't pick them up from a brick and mortar, I only order online during late spring to very early fall.