Outfitr

Paste antique ruining background color

On some floral tooling projects I like to use bright colors like red or green or blue instead of the normal black or dark brown in the background areas. Problem arises when I use paste antique and it gets down in those areas and hides the nice colors. I usually do a "wash" after the antique with tan kote but it's almost impossible to get it out of all the background areas and it always at least darkens or totally ruins the colors. I should also mention that I always use a resist like super sheen before the paste antique . I really love the effect of paste antique on floral carvings but I'm thinking it should not be used in conjunction with a colored background.  Any ideas?

Colored background and antiquing don’t seem to work well together!  The lighter the color the more it will effect it, antiquing is made to get into the low areas like background, decorative cuts, etc. I have never tried using antique over light dyed or painted background but can certainly see why it wouldn’t work.

Question...... the areas around the tooling are you actually backgrounding this area or are you leaving it untouched until you are painting it. When painting the area we call background I don't touch it with any tools and let the paint color make the distinction between tooled and not. This allows me to remove any antique from the surface of the paint.

Bobby 

3 hours ago, Rhale said:

Colored background and antiquing don’t seem to work well together!  The lighter the color the more it will effect it, antiquing is made to get into the low areas like background, decorative cuts, etc. I have never tried using antique over light dyed or painted background but can certainly see why it wouldn’t work.

I think your right, they just don't work together.

3 hours ago, Treed said:

Question...... the areas around the tooling are you actually backgrounding this area or are you leaving it untouched until you are painting it. When painting the area we call background I don't touch it with any tools and let the paint color make the distinction between tooled and not. This allows me to remove any antique from the surface of the paint.

Bobby 

The areas I'm referring to are tapped down with textured background tool then color dyed or painted.

the use of the background tool is to drop these areas to give you dimension and show off the tooling. When dropping this area it is suppose to collect the antique that is used. When painting this area leave it and use the paint to give you dimension and show off the tooling. Belt makers have been using this technique of painting backgrounds for years.  Picture is from a good friend of mine a belt maker Joe Meling of 23+. Joe has great patterns and videos on leather working on his face book page 23+.

Bobby

2020-04-05 (1).png

21 hours ago, Treed said:

the use of the background tool is to drop these areas to give you dimension and show off the tooling. When dropping this area it is suppose to collect the antique that is used. When painting this area leave it and use the paint to give you dimension and show off the tooling. Belt makers have been using this technique of painting backgrounds for years.  Picture is from a good friend of mine a belt maker Joe Meling of 23+. Joe has great patterns and videos on leather working on his face book page 23+.

Bobby

2020-04-05 (1).png

Oh you're saying don't use background tools just paint those areas then the antique will wash off. Interesting, never thought of that. I'm trying to do both, drop and color the background. Here's a pic if a coaster I did and tried to use purple. It came out OK but the antique did darken it some. 

20200401_104149_resize_33.jpg

Yes..... I think that forgoing the background tool and just painting would have made the piece pop more.

4 hours ago, Retswerb said:

You may not have gotten the color you were hoping for but that’s a beautiful coaster.

Thank you so much!