Toastie

Never guess what my wife found

So my wife went over to a friends house who had an old sewing machine they were getting rid of. When she gets back I help her get this beast out of the vehicle (it is very heavy) and we start looking at it. We found the serial number and was able to look it up and tell it was a Singer 127 treadle powered,, made in 1928. It is still in the original cabinet, has a bunch of tools in the draws that may be the original

We would like to get it back to working order, and I figure this would be one of the best places to ask about. Also I was wondering is it possible for this machine to sew through leather

Also any one had any luck bringing the wood back to life,

The Singer 127 is a domestic, not industrial sewing machine. It is ancient even by domestic machine standards. Just winding a bobbin is an act of magic, if you can do it at all.

As for the question about if it can sew through leather, as long as you can get enough force in the treadle drive, it will easily sew through 1/8 inch of leather.

Well I just took a closer look at it, There are 2 metal cases we found in the drawers, my wife said it was spare bobbins and feet. and a shuttle that looks like a bullet

Edited by Toastie

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

spare bobbins and feet. and a shuttle that looks like a bullet

Have fun loading those bobbins!

Honestly, it is not a leather sewing machine. It can sew some types of leather, but not with heavy thread and not thick stuff. It is still a bottom feeder with big teeth. I had two of them.

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

When she gets back I help her get this beast out of the vehicle (it is very heavy)

Beast? Heavy? You will be surprised what "real" industrial sewing machines weight when setup with motor and so forth. The 127 is rather a dwarf compared with "real" industrial leather sewing machines.

My back is complaining and I have only been playing with a 29K58 and treadle base. Maybe I am just getting to old to drag these around.

Thankfully the 132K6 is on wheels, just push it where I want it.

Bert.