This was my very first knife sheath. I bartered a custom holster for a custom knife a few years back. It has just been sitting in my desk in a cardboard sheath (cringe). I know. So...it was well overdue. I started out with simple expectations to "just make something leather to hold it," but that very quickly went out the door. It was much more involved than I had expected. It took considerable thought and planning. I had to layer up the leather to make a shelf on which the handle could sit, otherwise it would push the loop back when inserted. I had to consider so many other aspects. For example, I made the retention strap replaceable with a Chicago screw, so that, in the event that I cut the strap, or it became worn over time, it could be replaced. I had to carve out a dimple in an inside layer where the Chicago screw head could rest, allowing the layers to lie flush. On and on. I suppose these, along with the other things I had to figure out for myself are old hat for some of you, but it was probably faster than spending hours researching like I did before I made my first holster. Anyway, as always, I am all ears for constructive criticism. Oh yeah, the bear was from a practice scrap I did for a holster request that fell through. He sat on my workbench for months before I found a use for the poor fella. Never tooled any animals before. That was a whole other experience. Let me know what you think, and/or where I could improve on the next one. Thanks, ladies and gentlemen.

8.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

13.jpg

9.jpg

That is a work of art for a first sheath.

Very nice sheath!  What did you use to stitch it?

Gary

First sheath but not first thing you ever made out of leather, correct? If not, I believe you've found your purpose in life.

Thanks, everyone! No; not my first leather project. I have been making holsters and other miscellaneous leather goods for a few years now. I used 0.8mm Ritza Tiger thread to stitch. The stiching was a bear, pun intended. I marked the stitch holes with a saiwa 4mm stitching chisel, then nearly broke my wrist trying to punch through with an awl, so I chucked up a harness needle in my drill press to punch the rest of the holes. Much better, and easier on the wrist. 

Nice looking work!  I haven't made a sheath, so I don't have any suggestions,  but it looks like you nailed it! 

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!