Starwind0

How do I line a flat cap?

I am making myself that flat cap that I've always not gotten around to making thanks to Corona. I drew out what I want the design to be, and tomorrow I will finish the template with paper mockups. The only thing missing is, how the heck do I line this thing (the problem of my weird stubbornness not to pay for a template or guide that I can design myself)

I live in Texas so.. this will be intersting. I was thinking Silk? Not sure... 
Whats the best material for a daily use cap? (till texas heat tries to kill me) Where is a good place to buy this material in the US? 
Thanks! 

Attached design for those interested. Cadding it up next. 

92360764_2502328386686526_4848752016844914688_o.jpg

Edited by Starwind0

This will be an over simplification....

Make your lining pieces the same size and quantities as your outside. For a nice clean and cool lining use Muslin.

Applying a sweat band and the "Bill" is another story. lol

I guess I'll play odd man out, . . . I have a leather western style hat, . . . a grey Kepi, . . . and a military style ball cap, . . . none are lined and have all served me well for decades.

Ummm, . . . why a lining?

Sounds like a lot of work for something totally un-necessary.  But if you got to have it, . . . Joann Fabric is the place to go for material, . . . go see the folks there, . . . they'll help you.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like a lining in leather caps and hats.  When you have a bald spot on top, the leather gets hotter than heck, and makes for a headache.  In the winter, it also helps to keep that bald spot warmer!  I need the insulation.

Tom

Tried to go to Joanns yesterday, but I guess despite being needed for people to make face masks, or deal with the fact we can't do anything... they were closed. I ended up getting a few different options at Mood fabrics. Pretty cheap so I got a few. Joanns will probably go under comparing them to Moods website and selection. The Rag & Bone Cabernet I think is going to be the winner.

Pewter and Charcoal Striped Acetate Lining
Qty: 1
Subtotal:$4.99

rag-and-bone-cabernet-and-navy-floral-silk-twill-325699-11.jpg?1562793161
Rag & Bone Cabernet and Navy Floral Silk Twill
Subtotal:$20.99

natural-lightweight-cotton-muslin-319582-11.jpg?1554478184
Natural Lightweight Cotton Muslin
Subtotal:$2.99

mood-exclusive-double-dreaming-and-trance-stretch-cotton-sateen-md0415-11.jpg?1570287976
Mood Exclusive Double Dreaming and Trance Stretch Cotton Sateen

i would treat this like a cowboy hat, make a sweatband for it and make a pullout liner to go in it. if you have the pattern for the hat then use it to make the liner also. remember that a liner should not be stitched into the hat, its removable and held in place by the sweatband. that allows it to be removed and washed as well as replaced when needed to prolong the life of the hat. also use a couple eyelets to allow some air into the hat. And as always enjoy making your project.

If I remember correctly, theres a rather sizable detailed video or two by tony allen bernier on youtube about making a flat cap. His are lined that I've seen. It's possible that may help. 

what will the hat be made of ? if its leather what weight .

On 4/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, Sturme said:

remember that a liner should not be stitched into the hat, its removable and held in place by the sweatband.

Cool, I didn't know that. thanks

Just chiming in to say I hope you take pics as you go, I for one would love to see the process and how it turns out.

stuff a cotton bandana into the hat

remove and wash every week.