TestTube

Beginner here: What brand of thread should I buy?

^As the title says, what brand of thread should I purchase?

I am going to be working work leather around the 2-4, *maybe* 5oz range, so I think what I need is 0.80mm bonded nylon thread, but when I search this on Amazon I get a million different results, most of them at 1.0mm and most of them say polyester so...

...help me out here if you can =)

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, TestTube said:

...help me out here if you can =)

You ask soooo many questions... you might do what most of us did (before the internet) and simply experiment with materials. That's how you'll really learn, by trial and error, because there is more than one answer to what seems to be a basic question. For example, what kind of thread are you asking about? I have many sizes and styles of thread, but only hand sew, and use a range of sizes. I get most of mine from Maine Thread Company, and prefer their waxed polycord which comes in a wide variety of colors and weights. What I've found is that the weight of the thread is not directly related to the weight of the leather, but more a function of the spacing of the lacing holes and the overall look that I am going after. Sometime you will want the thread line to really "show up" and other times you will not want the thread to compete with the rest of your design.

So get playful and experiment, you will never regret it.

10 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

You ask soooo many questions... you might do what most of us did (before the internet) and simply experiment with materials. That's how you'll really learn, by trial and error, because there is more than one answer to what seems to be a basic question. For example, what kind of thread are you asking about? I have many sizes and styles of thread, but only hand sew, and use a range of sizes. I get most of mine from Maine Thread Company, and prefer their waxed polycord which comes in a wide variety of colors and weights. What I've found is that the weight of the thread is not directly related to the weight of the leather, but more a function of the spacing of the lacing holes and the overall look that I am going after. Sometime you will want the thread line to really "show up" and other times you will not want the thread to compete with the rest of your design.

So get playful and experiment, you will never regret it.

Yes, I understand.

I want to hand-sew a journal cover (and many other things, always hand-sewn) and I'll be working with lighter leather. It was suggested to me in a thread that I had made the other day that I should use a 0.8mm thread. But I do suppose (especially after watching a few videos) that it does come down to preference really so...

...my real question, I suppose is: Could you (or someone else) recommend to me a few good brands that make thread appropriate for leathercrafting?

Or could you tell me if this is an okay thread to use on leather even though it says polyester and not bonded nylon?https://www.amazon.com/Mandala-Crafts-Leather-Sewing-Stitching/dp/B01N9QEIIS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=0.8mm+thread&qid=1586194214&sr=8-2

^I know that it SAYS it can be used for leather, but everywhere I search when I ask the question "What type of thread should be used for leather?" I get the answer "Bonded Nylon", not polyester.

Edited by TestTube

The "gold" standard is Ritza Tiger Thread.  It's expensive but it's wound tight and nicely waxed.  The tighter wind means you have less chance of catching your thread with a needle while you're sewing and it looks nicer and more professional when it's done.  

A nice second choice would be Mandala Crafts from Amazon.  They have a 0.8mm in about every color.  It's much cheaper than Tiger.  It's not as well waxed which some people like and some don't.  I personally run mine over a wax block when I use it and am happy.  It's a little looser braided than Tiger though - but on a budget it's a good choice.

Makers Leather Supply also has their brand of thread which is nice but he's been moving his shop around and has run out of a few colors lately.  I would put theirs on par with Tiger thread.  It's a bit less expensive but lately a bit tougher to get. The only reason I put this in third place rather than second is availability.

Just my opinion, but for lighter leather like you're using I'd consider a 0.6mm thread.  I don't know what you're making but for thin, light goods, heavy thread looks chunky and bad.  

1 minute ago, TestTube said:

Or could you tell me if this is an okay thread to use on leather even though it says polyester and not bonded nylon?https://www.amazon.com/Mandala-Crafts-Leather-Sewing-Stitching/dp/B01N9QEIIS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=0.8mm+thread&qid=1586194214&sr=8-2

^I know that it SAYS it can be used for leather, but everywhere I search when I ask the question "What type of thread should be used for leather?" I get the answer "Bonded Nylon", not polyester.

The nylon vs poly thread debate will go on forever.  I personally don't have a preference.

Okay. I suppose in that case I will simply do what LatigoAmigo suggested and just mess around with everything.

The only thing is that I want to do it as cost-effectively as possible lol.

I'll take a look at some of that Ritza Tiger thread since I heard about it being good when doing some googling earlier.

And that Mandala Crafts thread is *exactly* what I was looking at on Amazon just now...so I may flip a coin as to which one to purchase.

I just need to find a Bonded Nylon thread to try, just to see what it feels like compared to the 2 polyester threads mentioned above.

Thanks guys.

29 minutes ago, TestTube said:

"What type of thread should be used for leather?" I get the answer "Bonded Nylon", not polyester.

Keep in mind that leather working has a long and storied tradition. If I was building a saddle, I might go for the bonded nylon, but I am a bag maker, and find that my bags are not put through the rigors of a saddle. Since you want to make things that will not be soaking up the rain, or baking in the desert sun, trust me, you will be happy with poly thread.

42 minutes ago, TestTube said:

thread appropriate for leathercrafting

Waxed polyester hand-sewing thread has been made by the Maine Thread Company for over 60 years, and it is made in the USA.

Screen_Shot_2020-02-11_at_1.28.12_PM.png

The Julius Koch company makes waxed, braided polyester thread under the brand name 'Ritza 25'. The packet has a picture of a tiger on it, so the thread is sometimes called 'Tiger' thread

It is available in 0,6/0,8/1,0 and 1,2 mm diameters, and a range of colours. It is widely recommended, but I don't like the way it handles/feels, and it has a flat cross section which makes it trickier to sew

It is usually only sold in large reels of 500 or 1,000m which make it a bit expensive to buy into. But Rocky Mountain Leather Supply sell it in shorter, cheaper lengths which means you could try a few colours and diameters before you buy a full roll. For the work that you will be doing I'd choose 0,6mm, but by all means try some 0,8mm as well so you can see what it's like

I like  the Chinese Yue Fung braided polyester thread, which is also sold by RMLS under their own 'Twist' label. I prefer the way it feels and it has a round cross section.Go for the 0,55mm dia

I also like linen thread, again RMLS sell Yue Fung linen as their 'Twist' linen thread, and I think it's excellent. The French 'Fil au Chinois' linen thread is also very good, and sold by RMLS

AFAIK bonded polyester is used mostly for machine sewing, but I'm willing to be corrected

I like using linen thread on knife sheaths and polyester for wallets and belts, as it is stronger than linen and you can seal the ends with a flame. So yes, linen is weaker, but the point is that it is strong enough for the purpose

Then there is the choice of colours. It's up to you if you want thread that matches and blends in to the leather, or is a contrast; either is acceptable

While you're at it, buy a piece of beeswax, it's not very expensive. Although the thread you buy might be ready waxed, you might find it's easier to use if you give it an extra waxing. Beeswax is also used for a few other jobs in leatherwork

3 hours ago, TestTube said:

Okay. I suppose in that case I will simply do what LatigoAmigo suggested and just mess around with everything.

The only thing is that I want to do it as cost-effectively as possible lol.

I'll take a look at some of that Ritza Tiger thread since I heard about it being good when doing some googling earlier.

And that Mandala Crafts thread is *exactly* what I was looking at on Amazon just now...so I may flip a coin as to which one to purchase.

I just need to find a Bonded Nylon thread to try, just to see what it feels like compared to the 2 polyester threads mentioned above.

Thanks guys.

To be cost effective, it looks like you just need some smaller "sampler" spools of different sizes to test. Over at Rocky Mountain Leather Supply (https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/supplies) you can purchase a "small" spool of 0.6MM RITZA "Tiger" (25m in length) for $6.75. (Buy 5, get one free, too!)
That is the same for the .8 and 1.0 and 1.2 thread. A good variety of different colors is offered, and shipping is free. I have purchased from them in the past, and they run a good store. 
You can also get the full spool for 30 dollars if you want it. 

OK OK OK This I can make simple. To start out, I HIGHLY recommend this 3 ply waxed flax from Crazy Crow. It is inexpensive. It is consistent. And it is easy to work with. And the good folks are very easy to work with.

https://www.crazycrow.com/craft-thread/waxed-linen-cord-3-ply-45-yards

This and their 5 ply are my go to threads for hand stitching, and it will get you going on hand stitching.

So are you now utterly confused?  Zuludog gave you some good advice.  Don't get all tweaky and spazmatic about thread.  I recommend Tiger thread or the Twisty.  It is professional thread.  Get polyester.  For a beginner I suggest the Tiger thread first.  It is a flat thread and easier to thread a needle.  Go to Rocky mountain with free shipping. Spend the six bucks and then come back and let us know what you think.

Great "thread"...

Ha ha. See What I did there?
I am also a newbie. Learning about thread and stitching. I needed to hear all this so thanks to each for the input!

I'll make things simpler. Any thread sold for leatherwork is strong and will slice through yor hand before you can ever break it. That gets strength out of the way unless you're thinking about stuff that is going to take some serious punishment over a long period like a saddle. Polyester is more resistant to UV rays than nylon and so is used more often in outdoor products like sailing etc. For handbag weight projects almost anything will do, even non waxed threads can be waxed as mentioned above and almost all projects will have at least one coat of protection on it before it's finished anyway. I've found the biggest problem to be getting the colour I want in the size I want and that's more important than you might think. What you're aiming for is a stitch and colour that not only suits the project but more importantly fits the holes that you made for it. you don't want to see the sides of the holes either side of the thread. Of course that is more of a factor if using a hole punch rather than a stitching chisel. As you can see there are no hard and fast rules. What's the project? The size of your punch/ chisels will give an idea of thread size. What colour thread? What size needles? A 1mm thread will go through a John James #3 and maybe a #4 Good luck!

https://threadsofmeisi.com/