mcguyver42

Pfaff 1245-706/47 6/01 CLPMN hook saddle retrofit

Hello, I bought a pfaff 1245-706/47 6/01 CLPMN which appears to be in fairly good and usable condition other than a few missing parts.  First off, the hook saddle is a slightly different shade of grey than the machine casting and there is no part number which would confirm that it is correct to this machine.  I was able to find some very clear detailed pictures in several views of a known correct part and after much inspection I can't spot any difference other than the color.  One of the hook drive bevel gears is missing, (the smaller hook shaft driven gear).  Pfaff has discontinued the gear set part number 91-019 120-90 and I can't find it anywhere.  My machine did not come fitted with the hook oiling system.  I have a line on a complete new old stock hook saddle assembly for $120.00, but it is fitted with hook oiling. Stated part number is 91-140 191-91  Is there a reason why I couldn't retrofit my 706/47 sub model?  That would solve my gear problem, allay my fear that my hook saddle is incorrect, and upgrade my machine to boot?  Away from that, does anyone know where I might get a set of hook drive gears.  I see the chinese sets on ebay for $50 but they claim that they will work for 145, 545 and 1245 and I happen to know that the 145 hook drive lower shaft is .020 smaller.  (On my 145-6 H3 anyway).  I suppose that would mean that it fits (very) sloppy on the 145 but would fit correctly on the 1245. Thanks in advance for any input,  Guy

Edited by mcguyver42
vague information

Do I get you right - you fear you have a wrong hook saddle because of the color? Why do you think the color is important? So other than the "wrong" color there is just a gear missing, right?

I would probably check with Keysew in PA or College Sewing in the UK

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/9101912090000-bevel-gear-pair-genuine-pfaff

Hi well there is a little more to the story.  I bought the 145 and 1245 heads together from a retired sewing machine mechanic for $200.  They came out of a little shed full of old industrial sewing machines and clutch motors strewn about on the floor.  He gave me a plastic bag of parts to put the 145 back together and told me that the 1245 just needed a hook.  The hook looked pretty new to me and I didn't see anything wrong with it.  I thought that I had scored big time.  both machines were seized.  When I got them home and started cleaning and assessing, I realized that he had swapped parts (including hook saddles) between the machines trying to get the 1245 running.  To make matters worse, most of the parts in the bag were either not for either machine, or close enough to cause a question mark.  Long story short, by now my head was swimming from trying to unravel the mess and navigate Phaff's parts diagrams and numbering system and most of my parts don't have part numbers on them.  So while in that mode, I noticed the paint shade difference between the 1245 hook saddle and the machine casting itself.  Who knows what it came off of?  May be right, maybe not?  I called him up looking for the missing gear but he doesn't know.  Gear cases are missing from both machines too.  I have the 1245 gear case coming from Germany now, but as I said, I can't get a handle on the gear set.  I tried Strima Poland, sewtech71, (Ebay used parts dealer)  Cutsew, Pennsew (which is where I get my parts).  Thanks for looking into that for me Constabulary, you got further than I did.  College Sewing does show it but it's on back order.  I will try Keysew. but  It's starting to look like the only way I'm going to find it new is on a dusty old shelf somewhere in a hometown sewing repair shop.  That's where the retrofit comes in, anyone know if it will work?

59 minutes ago, mcguyver42 said:

Hi well there is a little more to the story.  I bought the 145 and 1245 heads together from a retired sewing machine mechanic for $200.  They came out of a little shed full of old industrial sewing machines and clutch motors strewn about on the floor.  He gave me a plastic bag of parts to put the 145 back together and told me that the 1245 just needed a hook.  The hook looked pretty new to me and I didn't see anything wrong with it.  I thought that I had scored big time.  both machines were seized.  When I got them home and started cleaning and assessing, I realized that he had swapped parts (including hook saddles) between the machines trying to get the 1245 running.  To make matters worse, most of the parts in the bag were either not for either machine, or close enough to cause a question mark.  Long story short, by now my head was swimming from trying to unravel the mess and navigate Phaff's parts diagrams and numbering system and most of my parts don't have part numbers on them.  So while in that mode, I noticed the paint shade difference between the 1245 hook saddle and the machine casting itself.  Who knows what it came off of?  May be right, maybe not?  I called him up looking for the missing gear but he doesn't know.  Gear cases are missing from both machines too.  I have the 1245 gear case coming from Germany now, but as I said, I can't get a handle on the gear set.  I tried Strima Poland, sewtech71, (Ebay used parts dealer)  Cutsew, Pennsew (which is where I get my parts).  Thanks for looking into that for me Constabulary, you got further than I did.  College Sewing does show it but it's on back order.  I will try Keysew. but  It's starting to look like the only way I'm going to find it new is on a dusty old shelf somewhere in a hometown sewing repair shop.  That's where the retrofit comes in, anyone know if it will work?

We had a Pfaff 335 that was rebuilt in new like condition.  It was missing three or four parts,  available genuine Pfaff only.  Total cost on needed parts?  Well over $800USD ten years ago.  We can only get say $1,000 for the machine rebuilt on a new stand.  So, investing $800 was not a good plan.  I forget what happened the machine eventually, but the point is that it may be more cost effective to just buy another machine than to go down the rabbit hole with these two.  But, I don't know.

Yes, I'm afraid that pie eye may have gotten the better of me on this.  I left a message on your phone, (and email) just as your post popped up.  Give me some good news.

Clone parts???

hmmm, that's worth keeping in mind in general.  Thanks, I'm going to look into that today!

Send pics, or post them here, we can all have a look at it.  It's not like we have a lot of other things going on right now. :gathering:

I will get working on that, thanks!