johnnywalks

Help! Which machine for this stitch please?

Dear fellow leatherworkers, 

Need your expertise and advice. Which machine can I use to achieve this overlap panel stitch on both sides to close this tote bag construction?  Is this only achievable with a rotating post bed sewing machine? I'm excluding hand sewing for this project. Thank you and appreciate any input!

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 00.23.58.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 00.37.47.png

There are lock stitch cylinder machines which sew along the cylinder rather than at 90 deg to it, they are used for Golf Bags and Shirt sleeves etc and I guess incredibly expensive 

A tall post machine would do this quite easily. Remember the leather is flexible and you can do this by stitching one side first followed by the other side by flexing the leather down a little as you go then you do the bottom before pulling the corners up to be stitched across. This needs to be done on leather that doesn't crease up when pulling the corners up or turning inside out to do those corners. This sort of post would be ideal but a shorter one can manage it as well but will be more difficult. https://www.techsew.com/us/techsew-85017-high-post-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

You can do this on a old Singer class 17-10 if you can find one....

post-32832-0-21458800-1416669766.thumb.jpg.52cbb84b4aeba6a0253895140b7a35e9.jpg

How about a boot patcher? Just a thought?   :dunno:

On 4/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, jimi said:

You can do this on a old Singer class 17-10 if you can find one....

post-32832-0-21458800-1416669766.thumb.jpg.52cbb84b4aeba6a0253895140b7a35e9.jpg

Is this any different from other cylinder arm machine? I do own a Pfaff and the arm blocks you from doing this type of stitch method.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, RockyAussie said:

A tall post machine would do this quite easily. Remember the leather is flexible and you can do this by stitching one side first followed by the other side by flexing the leather down a little as you go then you do the bottom before pulling the corners up to be stitched across. This needs to be done on leather that doesn't crease up when pulling the corners up or turning inside out to do those corners. This sort of post would be ideal but a shorter one can manage it as well but will be more difficult. https://www.techsew.com/us/techsew-85017-high-post-walking-foot-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Thanks RockAussie! Extra tall post might be the best solution. 

1 hour ago, johnnywalks said:

s this any different from other cylinder arm machine? I do own a Pfaff and the arm blocks you from doing this type of stitch method.

This is a up the arm feed not across the arm feed.