Hey y’all! Just finished up a ranger style rig for my Cimarron Frontier. I’ve only got the one revolver right now but I made both a crossdraw and strongside holster so I had some options.. Someday I hope to fill them both! The holsters and belt are all made with 7-8 oz and lined with 4-5 oz. I hope to get some feedback on this, always looking to learn and improve.

D8E01413-F8DD-4BC1-BEEF-C1A5C1DCADAB.jpeg.408219ba4229f72b448da8709cf5116f.jpeg8E23807F-4F58-4D35-B75E-A93AD8DD7025.jpeg.f1eeb7084d93a5a30d86f4c6a99fa46d.jpeg09668D43-B6C8-4E66-A47B-8203BA9397AE.jpeg.4c0beb1cd90020c95fe64216b05363eb.jpeg

Cheers,

Morgan

That looks very nice Morgan. I like the "natural" colour and the decoration is simple, clean and under-stated.:specool:

Nice job!

Yep . . . good lookin rig, . . . 

Go in hock, . . . get that other pistola, . . . it's worth it, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Looks outstanding!   Exceptionally good clean work.   I must admit that I'm a little biased since this is exactly what I want to make for myself.   Out of all the variations out there, this is perfect to my eye and taste.   You did an incredible job!  Was this from any of the pattern packs out there? 

Very nice! It looks like you might have the liner on the belt "roughside out". Is that correct? If so I'm curious as to why. If I had to guess it would be to give it a little more "traction", but I'm just not sure. Not that any of that detracts from the great job you've done, just something I was curious about. 

All the best, Josh

Very nice work. I believe you did rough side out so that it won’t slide around during the draw of the gun. Good pics also.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! 

15 hours ago, dakotawolf said:

Looks outstanding!   Exceptionally good clean work.   I must admit that I'm a little biased since this is exactly what I want to make for myself.   Out of all the variations out there, this is perfect to my eye and taste.   You did an incredible job!  Was this from any of the pattern packs out there? 

No pattern packs, but I built the holsters with help from Jim Simmon's guide, and I took some inspiration from Kirkpatrick Leather.

2 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Very nice! It looks like you might have the liner on the belt "roughside out". Is that correct? If so I'm curious as to why. If I had to guess it would be to give it a little more "traction", but I'm just not sure. Not that any of that detracts from the great job you've done, just something I was curious about. 

All the best, Josh

You'd be correct, I wanted to minimize the amount of sliding around as I draw. I think it needs a lot of breaking in though, since the belt still slides up when I draw from my right side..

1 hour ago, MLGilbert said:

You'd be correct, I wanted to minimize the amount of sliding around as I draw. I think it needs a lot of breaking in though, since the belt still slides up when I draw from my right side..

I thought that might be the case. A few "draw" related things I've noticed; 1) the tighter you make the "loop" of your holster with the cartridge belt the less play there is with the holster riding up on the belt when you draw. 2) if you fasten the skirt and the holster you can avoid having the holster pull up from the skirt during your draw (I use a bleed knot that runs through the back of the holster body and skirt). 3) a tie down works but makes sitting with the rig on a bit of a nuisance. 

Again, great job! 

Best, Josh

On 4/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, Josh Ashman said:

I thought that might be the case. A few "draw" related things I've noticed; 1) the tighter you make the "loop" of your holster with the cartridge belt the less play there is with the holster riding up on the belt when you draw. 2) if you fasten the skirt and the holster you can avoid having the holster pull up from the skirt during your draw (I use a bleed knot that runs through the back of the holster body and skirt). 3) a tie down works but makes sitting with the rig on a bit of a nuisance. 

Again, great job! 

Best, Josh

Thanks for the tips here! I'm thinking I'll add some removable strips of 7-8 oz to the inside of the skirt that'll keep it "locked" on the belt.

Some makers fit variations on that idea to facilitate smooth drawing (mostly Single Action shooting). Strips of various shapes, some with a protrusion to fit over the bottom of the belt etc. Also making the holster with zero retention on the revolver helps.

I'm not too worried about a fast, friction-free draw since I don't do CAS. The belt was mostly for fun but I'll be using one holster or the other on horseback, so I like it to have some retention. 

Job well done. Very clean and a really nice color .

Looks great, and excellent idea making both holsters. They will age the same, and now you have an excuse to but another one fill that extra holster :)

On 4/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, BlakesBlades said:

Looks great, and excellent idea making both holsters. They will age the same, and now you have an excuse to but another one fill that extra holster :)

That's the idea there! Always looking for another excuse ;)