65frank

Belt LIner

I've seen belts for a long time with a liner, what is the liner consist of.  I've done a lot of searches and I couldn't find anything.  I have 2 belts to make, 1 for my son who's leaving the Army soon and 1 for myself.  

I make and sell my CCW belts by cutting two consecutive strips 1 1/2 inches wide from 7/8 oz veg tan leather, . . . glue em together, . . . sand the sides smooth, . . . stitch the edges, . . . punch the holes, . . . dye and finish, . . . put on a buckle, . . . send it to my customer.

That's the way I do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thank you sir!  It's more than what I've ever had.

Frank

If you have never done a belt before, . . . you need to carefully measure the length you need, . . . by  taking a belt worn by the customer, . . . measuring from the front edge of the buckle, . . . back to the most used hole.  That is your belt length.

I punch 7 holes in the belts I make, . . . so when I get to this point, . . . I will later mark that as the middle hole length.

Then you work the end for the buckle, . . . do you have a pattern or template for that?? 

Do you also have a pattern or template for the tongue end??

When I cut the belt blanks, . . . I actually "need" right at 9 inches beyond the measurement for the belt length.  I will cut 10 or 12 inches over, . . . just in case there is a flaw or something I need to work around.  

I make the outside piece, . . . and do whatever decorations are necessary, . . .

I then lay the liner down on the belt with the buckle end folded over like it would be to put the buckle on, . . . measure and cut the liner.

I use Weldwood contact cement to put the two pieces together, . . . 

Once they are together, . . . I even up the edges all around with a belt sander.

Stitch the two pieces together, . . . bevel and burnish the edges, . . .  punch the 7 holes at the tongue end, . . . dye, . . . finish

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight;

I think you've read my notes.

1 hour ago, ABC3 said:

Dwight;

I think you've read my notes.

shhhhhh smiley.jpg

It could be.

Stay safe my friend.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, Dwight said:

If you have never done a belt before, . . . you need to carefully measure the length you need, . . . by  taking a belt worn by the customer, . . . measuring from the front edge of the buckle, . . . back to the most used hole.  That is your belt length.

I tried that for a while, but ended up just taking their waist measurement .  Some of the belts they had were probably  bought from 'Cheap 'n' Nasty Mart'  ,  were stretched, split , frayed,  almost broken bits of plastic   :) 

HS