I had this design kicking around in my head for a while, and just got around to trying it out. It’s made using 3.5mm and 2mm English bridle leather, stitched with Yue Fung thread, and given a hot wax burnish on the edges.

The keeper is a bit too wide and was a pain to stitch. The whole buckle arrangement was a bit of a faff generally, this design would really benefit from using a reversed pricking iron to line it all up. There’s some odd long and short stitches in the corners too, and the tail is a bit too short. But the overall look has promise, so I’ll have to come back to this design.

Any critique or feedback that anyone has is greatly appreciated!

BE14753D-32D3-459B-BB77-E722C5D492B2.jpeg

6440F735-C647-4F57-A180-DCAD335A6993.jpeg

F93F87C5-90CC-49E4-89B9-9A14463E4270.jpeg

7CC3DE32-6373-43BC-973A-99FA8994E8E4.jpeg

3EBE75BE-9B24-43AA-975C-821252ECB675.jpeg

F37F1A2C-9167-428D-BCE9-B76148DF4B3C.jpeg

114CFDB8-4878-4144-B99C-511EF94CD0E9.jpeg

A smart look.  Truly.  A good design.  And mistakes are normal, allowing us to know where to improve.

Me only critique is the buckle holes.  The bottom photo.... that hole where the tine goes, should be 15cm from the tip of the belt, if having a five hole belt.  With 7 holes, then 17,5cm.  A six hole belt, whilst nothing wrong, is a bit odd.   If the wearer gains a stone at Christmastime :lol:, the tip of the belt will be under the keeper and most like won't stay.

Again, I do like the design and colour matching.  A nice job!

3 hours ago, HondoMan said:

Me only critique is the buckle holes.  The bottom photo.... that hole where the tine goes, should be 15cm from the tip of the belt, if having a five hole belt.  With 7 holes, then 17,5cm.  A six hole belt, whilst nothing wrong, is a bit odd.   If the wearer gains a stone at Christmastime :lol:, the tip of the belt will be under the keeper and most like won't stay.

About 10 minutes after cutting the end and marking up the stitches I realised my mistake, but at that point I was committed. Just need to keep active during this quarantine and it won’t be a problem!

I like the overall concept and think aside from what you pointed out that its a solid and high quality build. Nice. I've thought about doing the buckle end like that on a belt but always end up folding it back over onto itself. I think I'm going to try that clamped setup in the future.

This looks great. I want to commend you for stitching in the buckle. So many designs these days use rivets or screws but I've always been partial to the stitched method. 

14 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

This looks great. I want to commend you for stitching in the buckle. So many designs these days use rivets or screws but I've always been partial to the stitched method. 

I second that.  Gets on me last tit to no end.  Prusty did a right good job.  The amount of people who bring belts into the shop to have a rivet or screw replaced is maddening.  Best of all are the rivets that have fallen completely out because the hole stretched.  The average customer simply doesn't grasp they bought a rubbish belt, made from rubbish leather made on the cheap.  A sad state of affairs.

@Prusty, one last wee word of praise.  Seems you are on early days in leather and aside that you did a right grand job on the sewing.  It appears you used an awl and going through three layers of leather, not withstanding the keeper, the back side of your stitching is near on perfect.  No easy feat mate.  Well done!