AdamZ

Poly mallet head cover

I made this tonight with a rough bit of scrap leather because I really don't like the way these poly mallets look. As a bonus, while not a lot, the extra weight it adds is actually noticeable. I tried a few new things. Firstly I mixed the Fiebing's Show Brown Pro Dye, which I appled with one sponge, and some methylated spirits (rubbing alcohol?) with another sponge and worked at getting a different, perhaps aged look. Then I finished it by buffing in some bees wax. I'm not sure if doing a bees wax finish like this is normal, or if it is even a good or bad idea, but I figured an unimportant and small project like this is the best place to try new things. Anyway, here is the thing from start to finish...

Prior to dyeing:

_69W2658.thumb.jpg.140d48d1493f8f69fa1cf7c65270f769.jpg

After dying:

_69W2660.thumb.jpg.9677234aeb19dc9f0b48adf55eeaa77f.jpg

I wasn't really happy, so decided after more work on the edges I would go back and add some more dye Here it is with the mallet before the second round of dye:

_69W2662.jpg

Half way through stitching, you can see here the dye is much darker - I had also finished the edges as well as buffing the whole thing with bees wax:

_69W2666.thumb.jpg.efb0f2744b50a6e729734e1d518e4ef9.jpg

Edited by AdamZ

41 minutes ago, AdamZ said:

I really don't like the way these poly mallets look.

You managed to take a lemon and make lemonade. Nice job, it looks great.

33 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

You managed to take a lemon and make lemonade. Nice job, it looks great.

Haha, thanks. I almost wish I'd used a piece of leather that wasn't damaged.

Well crap, now I have to make one haha. That's a good idea. Those mallets are kinda ugly with that bright yellow. Very clever idea I haven't seen before, and simple too. Sometime simplicity and necessity are the best inspiration. 

Great idea and results. WTG!

Glad the idea has inspired others to cover their ugly mallets! I almost didn't buy one because it was so ugly, but since I'm new to leather work and I lacked experience to know if it was worth buying a more expensive maul or rawhide mallet I just got this. I don't think I'll feel so uninspired seeing it anymore. Please post some pictures if you make them. I'd love to see what someone more skilled comes up with. There is plenty of opportunity to be a bit creative - I was going to have the stitches crossed over on the front like when I made my archery quiver hood, which I think would look good. I assume a baseball style stitch could work too. Then I guess more details on the leather than the few lines I gouged in with my dividers could look good too, especially if done with a better tool. Speaking of tools, tooling is probably another option - not something I've ever tried myself yet. And then plenty of colour options too...

...oh, and by the way I also considered (and still thinking about) making a short piece just underneath that covers the top of the handle, kind of like an axe guard/collar. It is probably pointless of course.