plinkercases

Fender repair question

folks,

I have a customer with a torn fender leg....

She is in training and needs to back in the saddle quickly and cost effectively so I an contemplating as an emergency fix to glue new skirting leather front and back of the tear (make a sandwich) and stitch vertically only on the front and back edges. ..skive the splice of the riders leg side around the edges to help prevent too much rubbing perhaps.....

Thought's from the pro's?

brigette D fender.JPG

From what I can see in that picture it looks like the stirrup leather and the fender is made as one piece, so the splice would take the riders full weight, I wouldn't splice it, to much of a chance of a failure next to the splice, I'd replace the stirrup leathers and install new fenders as a separate piece., Generally one piece stirrup leather/fender is done as a cost saving measure.   Also it looks like the leather has seen better days. Might be time for a upgrade.

Edited by blue62
Spelling, added info

If it's just a plain fender, and it isn't important to the customer to keep the original to match the saddle, as in the case of a tooled saddle, I rarely repair a fender. It doesn't really cost any more to replace it with a new plain fender than it does to fiddle around patching it.  It is difficult to get a patch completely bulk free and as flexible as a fender without a patch.  The same goes for stirrup leathers. . . 999 times out of a thousand, I will not splice or patch a stirrup leather.  

It looks like half leathers were used on this saddle, which is exactly why I'm not a fan of them.  All the strain is borne by the fender, and eventually most of them will fail.

I don't have anything to offer, but, what piece are you holding?  It looks like the stirrup end of the fender.  Or, is it the top part of the fender, and the leathers are actually cut inline with the fender so there is no connection between the two, just one piece fender going into the stirrup leathers.  I just can't see from your photo.

Just wondering, Ron.

Thanks all and yes it was one piece fender and stirrup leather. At any rate they took it somewhere else so I am not sure what has happened to it. But now I know for next time.

Thanks all and stay safe.