beltbuckles

sewing machine cuts thread when stitching (juki 5550)

so i posted about this problem in the past.. when i sew, the thread gets chewed up and then finally breaks... 

i believe i tried...

-switching needles

-making sure the string is not super high tension being feed from spool

-sanding stuff inside the machine 

is there something im missing?

i do have a high tech juki 5550 that has some automatic features, (that are not currently working) like a thread cutter, but i think i disables it... could it be rubbing against that?  i check when i took the throat plate off and it didnt look like it was... 

it could be the bobbin but i think i switched that too..

anyway thicker string helps but i still does it...

The Juki 5550 is a high speed bottom feed light weight sewing machine.

I have a Juki 555-6 and the only time I had any problem is when I tried to use Tkt 30 thread in it , the hook split the thread and tried to wrap it around the the outside of the hook.

After I cleaned all the thread of, I found the timing was now out and had to re-set it.

You need to check your timing and that you do not have a burr on your needle plate.

These machines are solid as, but they are designed to sew light material at high speed and not leather and canvas. Yes I have sewn canvas and leather, but not as good as it should.

Bert.

thank you very much.. ill feel around for anything that could be cutting it. 

i think the timing is okay because it sew fine   until it cuts...

i think that the hook may be trying to wrap around it... how do i fix that?

Sometimes, the top thread getting sliced is because the check spring is either not threaded correctly, or is not adjusted to keep the thread taut until the needle pierces the material.

I found the needle was to far from the hook and picking up only a part of the thread and shredding it and wrapping it around the hook.

If you check the hood with the needle down, the needle only needs to be close without hitting the hook. I put a piece of white paper behind the hook and needle so I could see how much gap there was. I had too much gap.

There are two screws holding the hook, I think I loosened both, but left one firm and with a screw driver just moved it a little at the time, until the hook was nearly touching the needle. Then re-tightened the hook, checked it by hand to make sure it was sewing correctly, then tried it again with the motor.

Sadly, this great little machine does not like real heavy thread and that is why I have a Singer 132K6 for.

I hope this is some help for you.

Bert.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:37 AM, Bert51 said:

The Juki 5550 is a high speed bottom feed light weight sewing machine.

I have a Juki 555-6 and the only time I had any problem is when I tried to use Tkt 30 thread in it , the hook split the thread and tried to wrap it around the the outside of the hook.

After I cleaned all the thread of, I found the timing was now out and had to re-set it.

You need to check your timing and that you do not have a burr on your needle plate.

These machines are solid as, but they are designed to sew light material at high speed and not leather and canvas. Yes I have sewn canvas and leather, but not as good as it should.

Bert.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:56 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Sometimes, the top thread getting sliced is because the check spring is either not threaded correctly, or is not adjusted to keep the thread taut until the needle pierces the material.

so when i took the throat plate off of the machine, i spun the wheel to make the needle go up and down.. i noticed that the needle was rubbing up against the hook. is it supposed to do this? is that normal?

if not, how would i adjust that?

so i thinnk i need to adjust the spacing.. i watched part of a video on how to do that..  could that be the problem?

Also, check if your 3-hole thread guide is worn.

This is a very worn part that I had to replace. See the thread damage around holes?

Also, there may be similar damage on other parts along the thread path: lifter arm, needle bar thread guides, etc.

PICT4768.JPG

PICT4769.JPG