Dragonslayer

Modifying work gloves

My name is Paul, I'm new to the forum.A welder by trade, the work gloves i purchase are too small for my hands, the thumb can't fully open. I make my own leather knife sheaths, smart phone cases and etc. If i make a cut in the glove between the index finger and thumb, adding a piece of leather it gives the range of movement needed.  Sewing the glove by hand is very difficult and time consuming. Is it possible to sew the patch with a cylinder arm machine? Is it possible to sew the gloves and knife sheaths with the same machine?

20200412_045338_resize_86-300x400.jpg

I don't have the answers to your question, but wouldn't it be easier to buy bigger gloves?

I feel for you my friend, . . . as I often have the same problem with work gloves.  

And, no to akguy59, . . . larger gloves become more of a liability because your hand slides around in them.

I mostly just soaked the gloves in warm, . . . almost hot, . . . water, . . . then wore them until they dried out.  That usually cured the problem.

But if you are sure you want to do this, . . . cut the seam going down the pinky finger, . . . then turn most of the glove inside out, . . . that should give you a flat surface so that you can put the patch over there where you want it.  Make sure you glue it down with contact cement first.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

It would be very difficult to sew a patch in that location with a cylinder arm machine. It would go much better with a patcher, they handle those areas better. 

man i am not trying to be a wiseass but ..go to tractor supply and get a mans glove.  they are wider than the womans glove

i suspect that is what you bought.some times they are not marked. i have screwed up and done it myself

Believe me i had tried gloves from everywhere, they are all too small. The gloves  i use are tillman double x, i even asked about getting them custom made from the manufacturer . I would have to purchase 12 dozen @$40 per pair, thats not a option. They must use the same sample hand at every maker, the thumb is located too high up from the cuff. Just like any person who wants to make their purchases count, i want to make an informed choice about a sewing machine that will do multiple tasks, they will do some easier than others but still possible. I joined the site to ask for some advice, knowledge and expertise from others that know more about leather working. I  had the thought the other day to have shoe repair do the sewing for me, with the virus right now, no one is open.Thanks for your help and suggestions. 

Look up on the top of the screen to the right, . . . little envelope, . . . you have a PM there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Maybe you could open the seam up on outside pinky side of glove then with the additional room you maybe able to stitch on a patch then after ward close the seam back up.I have done the same thing to repair pants and pockets on coveralls.

I just cut the stitching from the pinky side of glove, glued the patch into position, it looks like that will work. Now i can focus on purchasing a cylinder arm for all my sewing needs. Thanks for the suggestions.