Hey everyone, I know it's been a long while since I have brought anything to the table. 

Well here is a bag I made for a coworker. She was pretty adamant about having just one shoulder strap and no handles. 

This is crazy horse leather from Arcadia. 

This was my first attempt at a mystery braid and it worked out well enough for me to use my practice piece. 
Also, I have never attempted a swelled gusset before. I had a few hiccups with it, but I think it turned out ok.

I would like to give a shout out to Nigel for his pattern making tutorials. I can't find a better way to blow 4 bucks a month.

More pics to come.

2F34FB79-72A2-4E88-81A7-52DFB8D84406.jpegAAD2B948-335D-4A5C-B43A-7656711282E6.jpeg81709562-3171-4A91-9987-78ED4537DD52.jpeg45F43A1F-30CC-41A0-B247-12D1B2BD0D5C.jpeg

Also, even though I love the pull up leather, I kind of hate how you can't really glue it. That makes getting the stitching started a real pain.EC71E6FE-BB7C-40E0-956A-76E20AECD2DB.jpegC5C7359E-309E-4876-B8CD-32C66DC1FDFB.jpegDEE68729-906B-49C9-8F7E-CB4030C59B32.jpeg34796685-8AC7-4FAE-BBC4-9C4120C300E1.jpeg747E5BCD-01BC-4612-8207-C3DB15B800C4.jpeg5994C84C-C919-4C2C-A3F7-3770F33394FE.jpeg

Looks great @bikermutt07, I love that leather. Good to see you!

3 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Looks great @bikermutt07, I love that leather. Good to see you!

Thanks munk. It's nice to be inspired again. I think I took a solid year off. I have been on a satorial adventure. My interest in things just comes and goes. 

Great work!  Hope everyone in La. are doing well. Good to see you back.

4 minutes ago, Rhale said:

Great work!  Hope everyone in La. are doing well. Good to see you back.

We are well for now. With the wife being an art teacher and me working in construction we are able to keep the household costs up to date. 

We aren't being hit nearly as hard as the rest of the world. 

Luckily my boss is an excellent business man. We are actually taking on a new showroom during this time. I'm very blessed.

2 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

We are well for now. With the wife being an art teacher and me working in construction we are able to keep the household costs up to date. 

We aren't being hit nearly as hard as the rest of the world. 

Luckily my boss is an excellent business man. We are actually taking on a new showroom during this time. I'm very blessed.

Welcome back!  I also am in construction as is my wife and we are both busy.  Being blessed, we are trying to support those not as fortunate during these times.  Nice job on the bag!

2 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Welcome back!  I also am in construction as is my wife and we are both busy.  Being blessed, we are trying to support those not as fortunate during these times.  Nice job on the bag!

Thanks. The co-worker who ordered the bag turned in a 180,000 in sales last month. Most of that was new construction with a builder she supplies materials only for. 
I never break $40,000 in sales but I get an hourly rate as well for over seeing special projects and maintenance. 

Very cool worn look! Nice job on the mystery braid. Just did a few of them recently and found it tricky but fun.

Nice! I agree Nigels series is awesome. I did a mystery braid handle on a bag I made a while ago. It's a nice touch I think. Yours came out well 

11 hours ago, Texasbootz said:

Very cool worn look! Nice job on the mystery braid. Just did a few of them recently and found it tricky but fun.

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Nice! I agree Nigels series is awesome. I did a mystery braid handle on a bag I made a while ago. It's a nice touch I think. Yours came out well 

Thanks guys.

Repeat after me. I like to  Stitch  I like to  Stitch I like to stitch. Really nice job. Labor of love

Looks great @bikermutt07! Great to see your work here again, as others have said as well. I’ve done short mystery braids but never anything that long, it’s a nice touch on this bag.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, Bawarrior said:

Repeat after me. I like to  Stitch  I like to  Stitch I like to stitch. Really nice job. Labor of love

Thanks, she's been a frequent supporter of my work. Crazy to think I would do this much hand stitching when I own two machines. I'm just still intimidated by them.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:55 AM, Retswerb said:

Looks great @bikermutt07! Great to see your work here again, as others have said as well. I’ve done short mystery braids but never anything that long, it’s a nice touch on this bag.

I have a bunch of totes I'm going to incorporate this style of handle into. I have never wanted to try the pipes filled purse handles because of all the piece, parts, and steps involved, but this seems pretty simple and I suspect would be a welcomed feature in the south.

Hi,

I like the colors on that bag.  Very rugged looking just right for the construction industry.  I bought some pull up leather from Tandy, a dark chocolate brown and made ID badge holder using a template from Makers Leather and he showed how he used double-sided tape.    I think it turned out really nice considering it was my first time with that kind of leather.  (I practiced on some other scraps).    I wanted to make some badge holders for my co-workers but wanted to see and feel other colors (they're so expensive!).  I can wait until they lift they open back up.  Still gotta working on my stitching, though.   

I live in Pearland, by the way.  :P

Edited by JayEhl

12 hours ago, JayEhl said:

Hi,

I like the colors on that bag.  Very rugged looking just right for the construction industry.  I bought some pull up leather from Tandy, a dark chocolate brown and made ID badge holder using a template from Makers Leather and he showed how he used double-sided tape.    I think it turned out really nice considering it was my first time with that kind of leather.  (I practiced on some other scraps).    I wanted to make some badge holders for my co-workers but wanted to see and feel other colors (they're so expensive!).  I can wait until they lift they open back up.  Still gotta working on my stitching, though.   

I live in Pearland, by the way.  :P

I ordered these....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153473641136

Cool. I lived in Deer Park more than once.

I finished these three up today.

CB4BFD76-A82B-4B1F-AB6C-A581ED8838DA.jpeg98576E94-8649-4017-8673-E6B91362F37B.jpeg7D98932C-7D46-45CB-B96E-804E1F84C830.jpeg

Edited by bikermutt07

Cool. Did you tool the brown one?  Or did it come with that imprinted design?  I like that color

1 hour ago, JayEhl said:

Cool. Did you tool the brown one?  Or did it come with that imprinted design?  I like that color

that was some English bull hide from @nstarleather.

It is a wonderful thin upolstrery pull up leather. It has an awesome bloom. And yes, it is printed.

The purple stuff is from Tandy. It's some cheapy feeling stuff.

Edited by bikermutt07

Awesome job, like the rustic look. Problem solving is always a go thing, keeps us sharp, well sorta. Thanks for sharing my friend. 

Wonderful looking bag.  I'm just getting started and would love to try that.  Where did you get the pattern?  

I've just been making holsters and want to branch out and see what else is possible.  I know my fiancé would love a bag like that.

15 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Wonderful looking bag.  I'm just getting started and would love to try that.  Where did you get the pattern?  

I've just been making holsters and want to branch out and see what else is possible.  I know my fiancé would love a bag like that.

Thanks guys

19 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Awesome job, like the rustic look. Problem solving is always a go thing, keeps us sharp, well sorta. Thanks for sharing my friend. 

It came from this place. She has lots of simpler patterns. 

https://www.leatherdiystudio.com/

This one was called tote 12. I did change up the handle situation.

Here is a picture of how it is assembled in the PDF pattern. D51596A1-60C5-4FAA-84A7-C63FE7D4A502.jpeg453545AA-6619-40F1-B6D2-67BF40E6BB38.jpegAB569661-3D45-4281-AD3B-0DCE0CB2981C.jpeg

Thank you Bikermutt07.  Love looking at your work.

9 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Thank you Bikermutt07.  Love looking at your work.

You're welcome. The bag at the top of the post I made a pattern for. The link is for the totes.