iron1951

Can anyone help me find this take-up lever

Any idea where I could chase down this Singer take-up lever, part number 203270 (or 203271 complete)? It is from a 21w30. Thanks

1890440466_Take-upLever203270.jpg.4b814cb7e612a1a66e6b703a183ac98f.jpg

Looks like you need new take up roller and stud, too.

I have the roller, stud and screw. I just left them out of the picture. I broke the take-up lever putting the machine  in a table and not noticing that the 21w30 bed was shorter than the cut-out and the machine fell. I had just finished painting the machine. See "Oops I Broke It".

2 hours ago, iron1951 said:

...and the machine fell.  "Oops I Broke It".

Been there ...done just that. I got lucky on ebay with the take-up-lever 

I don't think so, but I'll check too.  I had to look up the model, never heard of the 21W, looks like a very old needle feed top load.  Interesting and very nice looking model.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

I have had a couple of people suggest that I weld the take-up lever. So that is what I did. Actually brazed the lever. Here are the pics. I decided against brazing the back side because I was afraid the heat might melt everything. I did groove the front side before I started brazing. Here's the pics.

1764047826_Take-upFront.jpg.755b4e870669cc895fdec8db9bfa1158.jpg136395080_Take-upBackCloseup.jpg.0915dc501e15b679cc8fed67d36a00b6.jpg

Maybe it wouldn't hurt too much to braze that last bit ? , or fill it,  perhaps just enough to cover the crack, sand it down , and paint it the same colour as the machine?    At least you can  use the machine now  until you can find a replacement   :) 

HS

Handstitched, I was afraid that if I tried to braze the back, being such a thin arm, the heat would melt all my braze. So I thought better off to play safe and leave as is. I did scarf out the crack to about a 2/3 depth before I brazed. My torches are industrial size not really meant for this fine work. But once all together, you don't see the braze. I am definitely still on the lookout for a replacement part.

1292866340_Take-upInstalled.jpg.7774241e557381f43930d77f53da37cb.jpg 

Yes I see what you mean , you wouldn't see it at all. But  despite that little " oops I broke it " moment , its still looks great :)  

HS