Does anyone do this? I'm aware I'd need to get the pre-waxed stuff but I just thought rather than buying lots of different colour threads I'd get white and dye it! I'm planning on getting Somac 18/3 and 18/4.

Does anyone do this? I'm aware I'd need to get the pre-waxed stuff but I just thought rather than buying lots of different colour threads I'd get white and dye it! I'm planning on getting Somac 18/ and 18/4.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Neigh

I've dyed thread inadvertently using black Fiebings Pro Dye with disastrous results.   I only died the thread because I was attempting to recolor the leather where the needle had come through on the back side of the piece.

The dye wicked up to the top side continued to bleed out of the thread, cross contaminating the piece and my hands several weeks after application.      That's what I got for you!

Silverd

Synthetic threads like nylon and polyester generally do not dye well.   Waxed even less so.  

- Bill

Natural fibers are the only ones that "take" dye. Synthetics may get dye ON them, but the results are not good. Linen, hemp etc is the way to go if you want to dye it.

I do occasionally dye thread for a project, but mostly I just use brown or black. I never cared for the look of natural/white thread on any project unless it is white leather. There have been times when I want that contrast, but not very often.

Edited by tsunkasapa

Thanks folks. The Somac is linen, and I will be mostly using black but just thinking on when I want a bright thread to contrast a black collar or something :)