Constabulary

Singer 51w Post Bed & 143w / 107w Flat Bed Setup on Cut Down Singer Stand

I took sooooo many pictures while puzzling together this setup but most pics turned out to dark. :wacko: Tried to brighten them but they were just too dark. So here are just a few of the done setup.

Now this is my setup for the 51wSV2 post bed machine I have restored and I also want to use my 107w1 and 143w in this table.

Wanted to have a smaller foot print stand with folding extension. So I cut down the center bars by 5" and glued them together with JB Weld and some thread rods and dowel pins (can post pictures if someone is interested).

The new table top is beech wood oiled with boiled linseed oil - that makes a nice warm vintage look (looks much better in real life). I added a DIY 1:3 speed reducer and the motor is a 1975 made Italian OCEL / Moretti step motor (I think it is called step motor - we say "Anlassermotor" - its not a servo motor). Works very well so far but I´m not sure if I will keep this motor but I will test it for a while.

Some pictures...

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.3599c2810d6711eec7384f9ccd497cd0.JPGIMG_1495.thumb.JPG.36e0685e8043add67fe919df2a0b2cd7.JPGIMG_1501.JPG.44ea964f79b1536571b87fc017326953.JPGIMG_1503.JPG.32d0cace5f1cf15e5e650f29489fd034.JPGIMG_1505.thumb.JPG.6fbf5e217396563a1e9746e4515c4fae.JPGIMG_1506.thumb.JPG.4cd47fb4ab1729cb5fd52007a42d3d15.JPGIMG_1509.JPG.149a02591da40c9744df9122a345bac8.JPG

When I was done and insert the 3 machines one by one I figured I had to make a small correction in the cut out... and then...  the router guide moved :ranting2:

Have to fill it with some wood filler :wacko:

IMG_1470.JPG.7e5f3f9392d96d5902ed1ca50f58c094.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

WOW, That came out real nice,those older models always seemed to work better than the newer ones with the  timing belt!

This setup made my heart skip a beat! Well done Folker!

Very nice work, love the attention to detail.

That looks beautiful.  The boiled linseed oil really warmed up the beach wood.

Would be interested in the 

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Wanted to have a smaller foot print stand with folding extension. So I cut down the center bars by 5" and glued them together with JB Weld and some thread rods and dowel pins (can post pictures if someone is interested).

Great job as usual Folker, Nice BLACK machine there and great job on the table also, when you open your OLD IRON shop i will maybe pass by and buy a machine from you Lol...Interesting little sliding drawer there.

Very nice job! I did something similar but couldn't bring myself to cut the metal frame!! Interesting solution to placing the drawer, I had to leave mine off.

Thanks a lot folks :)

Jimi, the machines are not for sale but I indeed ha have to "rethink" the space for my machines maybe I can cut my bed in half or I can put one in the bathroom - who needs a shower when you have a rain barrel or lawn sprinklers :lol:

@ scoutmom

I cut out 5" in the middle of the 2 bars, drilled some  2" deep hole in either half (3x 8mm on the rear bar and a few more 6mm holes on the bottom bar) filled the holes on either side with JB Weld and insert 6mm thread rods (rear) and 4 / 5mm dowel pins (bottom). Why dowel pins and thread rods - well I just used what I had - no special reason. Make sure the holes in either half line up as good as possible but since the holes ware wider than the diameter of the rods / pins you still can adjust them a bit. Join the 2 halfs, line them up with a water level or what ever you have and clamp them to a table, let JB cure for a day - done... Its for sure not as strong as the old cast iron but it works.

IMG_1407.JPG.55d2639af283c32680abab24779c63b7.JPGIMG_1408.JPG.f45479c4c4c8b19ea7cb2a10a86d9e2d.JPGIMG_1409.JPG.2a8a42abf31507a88a9b7b7a59c7e495.JPGIMG_1410.JPG.5fe026a32a458a0a18c647de8193a4a4.JPGIMG_1412.JPG.f7096ce2b4c904d160468e757696bb89.JPGIMG_1415.JPG.821b8c198e5546529bb082ead59ad8f6.JPGIMG_1418.JPG.014c0a0f2939fd666cfe7941b127cf89.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

You're far too good at this Folker. Really like the roll top drawer. I'm thinking you're gonna have to move into a warehouse eventually. Well done.

Thanks Folker.   Space is an issue.  So many beautiful cast irons being destroyed and so little space.

Amazing work! I might have to try something like that with my Cowboy 810. 

Folker,

Great restoration.  Great attention to detail as well..   You keeping this one I presume????

glenn

Wow, those are some serious modifications, it looks great! You definitely possess the ability to design and construct. I totally understand about space being at a premium .... love to put more machines in my small shop.

Wow... I was feeling envious of your machine restoration skills, but now you have lifted the bonnet.. and raised the bar. This is an incredible piece of restoration work, with some practical elements too meet spatial needs... please never change out that motor, it is just too nice to look at as part off the whole. I am about to purchase an old 51W56 on a similar table... I will be revisiting your restoration posts on this one and most likely pestering you for information.. and yes, my 45k is still seized, but the electrolysis bath is ready- I'm just stuck in another part of the country with Covid lockdown again... so too much time for searching for new projects!

s-l800.jpg.cbbbef51980e2a50db6ae4077aeffba8.jpg

@Constabulary I recently acquired a 52W19 head and am working to put it into a table. The head came with the "male" parts of the table hinges attached. Where did you find the "female" parts of the table hinges? The parts that are actually attached to the table? I'm unable to find anything that looks like those in your pictures. Thank you.

Certain dealers can get them.  Where are you located?

glenn

Northern Virginia

On 2/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, AJGator said:

@Constabulary I recently acquired a 52W19 head and am working to put it into a table. The head came with the "male" parts of the table hinges attached. Where did you find the "female" parts of the table hinges? The parts that are actually attached to the table? I'm unable to find anything that looks like those in your pictures. Thank you.

If you can post a picture of the hooks on your machine we can point you to a source for the sockets.