Stitchaholic

Stitching Groover problem

I just got started in doing things with leather. I bought a piece of leather from Hobby Lobby and a small set of tools from Amazon.

My problem is, when I watch the leather working videos on youtube, and someone is using there stitching groover. The small hole

has a thin strip of leather coming out of it. When I do the same, the hole fills up, but nothing comes out and yes I cleaned it out with

a needle, but still nothing. Anyone have this problem and what can I do?

I wouldn't stick a needle into the hole.  It has a very sharp edge to it and messing with it might dull it.  The trouble could be the tool or it could be the leather.  What specific leather did you purchase?

@Stitchaholic have you tried turning it over and running it the other direction?  They are only sharp on one edge and will only cut going one direction.

Todd

Generally speaking the groovers you get from amazon are dull.  I had this same issue and never could get it to work, the leather just gummed up and my groove lines were terrible.  I spent a little extra money and got a good groover from Weaver and haven't had a problem since.  

If your groover is the kind I'm thinking of it has a replaceable blade.  You might be able to get a better replacement blade for it and make it work better rather than have to purchase an entire tool.

Pics will help us help you.

I'm guessing it is dull or the leather.

I do not cut a groove and only use mine anymore as a creaser, but grooved can be sharpened by putting some polishing compound on a toothpick and twirling it in the hole, and also working the outside of the cutting edge on a stone or strop.

- Bill