Savvas

Adler 48-? query...

Hi Folks, 

Lurking for a bit and this may be my first post (I think - not sure as this pandemic thing is playing up with my sleep and memory!) Anyway, I need your insights please. I've been searching for an inexpensive cylinder arm machine capable of sewing a combination of light-weight leather and canvas. The machine needs to be less (preferably much less) that Au$1,000 and easy to maintain. I've come across an Adler 48 that appears to be in excellent condition. I have been reading all I can on this machine and know it's closely related to the Singer 17. The problem is that this variant has a walking foot (see pic below) but I can't find any reference to a Model 48 with this feature. Would it be the 48-4? And does anyone know if it's a true 'upper feed' walking foot or just a spring-loaded 'jump' foot as per the Singer 42-5 (I'm restoring one of these and am familiar with this mechanism). Many thanks, Sam.

z-e.jpg

I saw this machine on ebay and it looks a nice machine .

It appears to be on a new table, but they have had a couple goes setting it up and hes got the motor nearly under the machine, I don't know what difference it would make, all my machines have the motor set further back from the machine. I also noticed holes in the table near the end of the cylinder arm and thought may they where going to set up something there.

Also I do not know what type of servo motor it has, I have not heard of cAnAc-Uk servo's before.

You might look to see if bobbin are readily available for it.

Freight might be a problem, Qld to to South Australia could be pricey?

Just my thoughts,

Bert.

Thanks for your thoughts Bert - useful. I've done some research and it appears that bobbins and the hook are still available. Not sure about other parts. I was puzzled by the walking foot arrangement though as this didn't appear to be a feature of other Adler 48-3 machines. I've been looking for a cylinder machine for a while and having a walking foot would be a bonus...

I just had a quick look on the net and can find very little about the Adler 48, even Adler has nothing, http://sew24.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

I have an Adler 105-6 and if I can find any parts for it, I cannot afford them and god help you if you need Adler Australia to do anything on it.

I did find an old ebay advert for this machine, it had the same photos, but it had no further information.

The walking foot is why I looked at it on ebay, my 105 is not a walking foot, but as nearly everything that goes under the foot is glued, I don't have any problems with it.

With a little luck, one or two of the forum Adler owners might be of more help then I am.

Cheer,

Bert.

Adler 48 are funny little machines but the bobbins are really small (somewhere between Singer 29K small and Pfaff 335 old style). They share the same hook with the Singer 17. I can send you and english manual for the 48 and a German language sales brochure showing different subclasses of the 48 but don´t ask for a translation. Send me your email address by PM if you are interested. I had a 48 class machine but not the 48-4. AFAIK the 48-4 foot is a jump foot and is not driven just as on Singer 133K8 and Singer 31K19 and the like.

Edited by Constabulary

On 4/17/2020 at 5:52 PM, Constabulary said:

Adler 48 are funny little machines but the bobbins are really small (somewhere between Singer 29K small and Pfaff 335 old style). They share the same hook with the Singer 17. I can send you and english manual for the 48 and a German language sales brochure showing different subclasses of the 48 but don´t ask for a translation. Send me your email address by PM if you are interested. I had a 48 class machine but not the 48-4. AFAIK the 48-4 foot is a jump foot and is not driven just as on Singer 133K8 and Singer 31K19 and the like.

Thanks Constabulary - I didn't end up buying it although the seller did agree to sell me the head by itself (no table or motor). I've decided to wait until I'm more familiar with Singer options... Sam