Brownie1

Singer 7-55

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Singer 7-55 and have been cleaning it up, of course after taking things apart and cleaning and then putting them back together when the presser foot walks over the fabric the rear foot the one without the needle does not seem to lift as high as I want it to. So as it makes the step and then picks up the rear foot to spring forward, it doesn't really lift that high. I was alway under the impression that it would lift higher. 

Is there a way to get follow up foot to lift higher off the material after it completes the stitch?

IMG_3343.jpg

can´t speak for the 7-55 but on my previous 7-10 there was kind of a bell crank lever with cam on the back side which controlled the foot lift. let me see if I still have pictures...

Constabulary, here are some side shots of mine. It looks like one of the arms have been pinned so I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Is it possible that it was pinned at the factory that it was being used at back in the day to prevent slipping or prevent someone from messing with it?

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

Constabulary you are awesome!!!

In the third photo with the large screw head on the slide with locking bolt on other side,  I moved it as far down the slide as it would go and it did what it was supposed to. I can put 1/2 inch or more of material under the foot and no problems.:)

Thank you

Now do you have any good sources for presser feet for this machine?

IMG_3392.jpg

Seiko and Consew have copies of the class machines.  They have feet for sale.  There were not a lot of options on this machine. Not sure of model numbers for Seiko but Consew model number is 733.

glenn

55 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Seiko and Consew have copies of the class machines.  They have feet for sale.  There were not a lot of options on this machine. Not sure of model numbers for Seiko but Consew model number is 733.

glenn

Singer 7-33 is the machine most related to the Consew 733R series and the Seiko SLH-2B series, but these too have some parts that differ from the Singer.  A lot are the same, too.  However, the 7-55 is an odd duck, not sure about parts or anything, never had that machine in here for service.

SingerEPort7-55.jpg

Thanks for all the good information guys I appreciate it. For some reason, and I don't know why, but it looks like someone had modified the race, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the machine other than the shuttle frame moves more when it gets to the top where the race was modified. Long term effect it may compromise the shuttle frame???? I was thinking of ordering a new race but I'm being cautious.

IMG_3384.jpg

yeah   that has been modified!!

glenn

No,it hasn't been modified,that's how they look when their wornout,time for a new one,that's also why it's loose.

Edited by CowboyBob

On 4/16/2020 at 9:50 PM, Brownie1 said:

Constabulary you are awesome!!!

In the third photo with the large screw head on the slide with locking bolt on other side,  I moved it as far down the slide as it would go and it did what it was supposed to. I can put 1/2 inch or more of material under the foot and no problems.:)

Thank you

Now do you have any good sources for presser feet for this machine?

You are welcome ;)

I do not know this subclass but I would guess it takes the same feet as the 7-33 but better check with a dealer f.i. those who have adverts on top of this page (if you don´t use an ad blocker)

Cowboy Bob from Toledo Sewing Machines and Gregg from Keystone Sewing Machines already replied here - I would check with them.

Another question, the presser foot on this old 7-55 makes it so that it will not climb over welts. The front part of the presser foot (toe) once it hits the seam or welt it lifts the rear portion that makes contact with the feed dogs and thus the material does not feed. Is this normal for these old machines? I'm not sure what to do to combat this issue, any ideas would be great.

I borrowed one of these from my wifes machine, some years back and never returned it, well she doesn't use it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clearance-Plate-Button-Reed-Presser-Foot-Hump-Jumper-for-Sewing-Machines-wa/312957504707

Bert.

You are correct Bob.  I forgot to say modified OR  wore out.

glenn

I recently ordered a part for my machine, a guys said he had a race for a singer class 7 that would fit my 7-55 so I went ahead and ordered the part from him. I don't know what he sent me but it definitely does not fit my class 7. does anyone know what this part would be for? The guys I am dealing with was closing for the day so he said he would call his supplier in the am, he seemed good and knew what he was talking about.

The old race is the smaller one, obviously.

IMG_3445.jpg

Edited by Brownie1