EdJ

Getting Started - Leather Upholstery Machine

Well its time to expand into new disciplines.  I have restored and rebuilt a 100+ year old one horse carriage except for the upholstery, dashboard and trunk.  Just ordered a couple of 3 oz hides and now need a machine to sew with.  As far as I know there are no industrial machine dealers around here in Idaho so I need a machine that would easily serviced if needed possibly by a residential machine technician (if that is even an issue).  Anyway I have pretty much decided to buy new unless something pops up regionally.

As to what else I plan to do with it, I never know.  But I do have lots of ideas.  Belts, sheaths, boat cover repairs, furniture cushions, wallets, ect.  I would hold the line at holsters and heavy leather as initially the type of machine necessary would not be ideal for my current project based on discussions in this forum.  

From reading forums

I would probably like an 18"  arm

Servo Motor

Gear reduction

Looking for brand and model recommendations.

In addition what additional supplies and attachments should I be purchase  for/with the machine (feet, needles, thread size)?

No specific budget but I guess I will be spending 1 - 2 k.

4s.jpg

2s.jpg

1s.jpg

3s.jpg

Nice job! I don't have anything like enough patience. As for the rest I'll leave that for those better qualified than me. I will say if you want to learn about upholstery Subscribe to a guy called Cechalo on YouTube. A genious with a sewing machine.

i second the youtube guy....from what ive found you will have trouble getting the upholstery guys to give any help. look at the hot rod sites some good advise there . the hog ring forum is of no use to a diy type guy they wont even let you look at the posts without a business doing upholstery.

I have watched several of Cechalo videos and they provided great information.  I know there is not a lot of sewing here but every project is an excuse to buy a new tool and this is only one of many  projects to come.  There is a guy locally selling a Chandler 304-64 with additional leather working tools and a cheap drill press, asking $1,000 but that's not a flat bed machine.  But i could be fun for other projects.

i bought a consew 206-rb5 flat bed machine and love it. its a workhorse and with zero prior sewing machine knowledge have managed to keep it running well for last 2 years with infrequent issues easily remedied by various resources. 

BUT, and i hope she doesnt hear this, had i to do it again i would have bought a comparable Cylinder bed machine instead because i can used it for mostly everything the consew can do and so much more that a cylinder bed can do too.