LiftPig

Holster molding

Holster makers out there, how do you mold the leather to your guns?  Do you buy a blue gun for each order you get?  Do you charge the customer for this or do you eat that cost?  Is there a good supplier for these that don't cost an arm and a leg or a place where they can be "rented"?  

So far I've been lucky  that the few holsters that I've been asked to make have been guns I own.  But I just got an order for a holster for a Sig P365SAS and, not being a police officer in California, don't have one.  I'm a bit stumped on what to do.

https://makersleathersupply.com/collections/blue-guns

My take on these and other items was to tack on $5-10 per project if it was something you can use for others. Obviously a 1911 is more common than a Nambu, so you may want to add the entire cost of the Nambu Blue Gun(I don't know if they do a Blue Nambu, just an obscure example). 

As you start doing more holsters, if you don't have a gun or a blue/dummy gun to use , use the customers but is that's not a option.

Consider is it a one off project, or something  that will reoccur with more regularity,  one off projects, one of a kind I add about half the cost or all  of a blue gun.

More common or popular  holsters ie 1911, 365's ,938, G26 ,G19, buy the dummy, cost of doing business and figure a couple dollars per holster cost a little less margin till its recovered

5-10 holsters, don't forget lasers, rail mounted lights optics, don't forget a 5" 1911 will make a commander /officers holster with a little planning,, improvise and make it work ,,,, good luck,,, db

Thanks for the replies.  Guess I'll be investing in some blue guns.  Now I"m off to go shopping - you know, for work.

If I'm confident I'll sell more, I buy the gun with no extra cost.  If I'm not confident I'll sell more, I turn down the order.  I've taken to posting listings for blue guns I don't have and only ordering when someone places an order for it.  I've gotten big enough to have wiggle room to do it that way.  And it keeps me from buying blue guns until I've at least got the cost of it covered with an order.  I use Holstersmith and Bluegunstore.  Sometimes I'll jump on one of the hot new guns if I think I can do well with it.  

When I first started I worked from my guns, customer guns, or occasionally had an FFL that would lend one out to me.  It's  a handy way to get started without going in debt for supplies.  

Cooks Mold guns are very accurate. I am very fortunate i have a couple of friends from this sight that we loan the mold guns to each other. There was a Guy who use to post here who talked about getting mold guns and renting them out for just such occasions but no one was interested . 

you can wrap the pistol in saran wrap and do the forming, i do it on custom jobs and have never had an issue.

make your own molds.   the devil with paying 50 bucks for 3 dollars worth of plastic 

plywood and a jig saw

On 4/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Sturme said:

you can wrap the pistol in saran wrap and do the forming, i do it on custom jobs and have never had an issue.

I've done hundreds of holsters with my guns and customer guns.  Never used any wrap.  The leather should not be wet enough to do anything but moisten the outer finish.  Wipe that off, or not, it has made no difference.  If it makes you feel better, fine.  But it's not necessary.