electricmason

Weaver Cub Sewing Machine

Has any one have any experience with the weaver Cub?  I just recently received mine and am having a very difficult time with it.,  It will not sew consistent, i can make a hundred stitches in a piece of scrap perfectly, sewing the same thickness, usually scrap from the project ,   and the damn thing will skip a stitch....arg...Thinking of sending it back...

I don’t own a cub but I am sure if you contact Weaver they would be able to help, or return!

Contact Joe or Allen at Weaver leather.  They can help you.

glenn

I saw pictures of it, and if it wasn't for the fact I am in the market for a "powered machine" (I have a Tippman Boss, and I like it, but I like making leather backpacks and messenger bags and the throat room is just too small...I want 16" babey ;)  )  The weaver cub makes me wonder if you could add a motor to it.

Call them, when I first bought my TB, I had to call them and they walked me through adjusting the bobbin tension and it started working fine.  It does occasionally skip a stitch but being manual it can be backed up.  If it operates at all like mine, they are a little temperamental till you get it adjusted properly...Call them and give it a good chance, could be a a learning curve for you but might be worth it.

Electricmason, I have owned a Weaver Cub since March of this year.  The skipped stitch issue is caused by the take-up spring.  I had to readjust mine (move the spring away from the needle) to pick up the slack when the needle is on the downward movement.  I also adjusted the thread tension a little more. Move the hand wheel in a nice slow smooth motion. No sudden speed ups when going through the work piece.  Here is a pic of a knife sheath just made yesterday. I am also including a pic of the stand I made for the Cub.

Sheath_small.jpg.f39975a9c7d8a9e7439c27de23ccd4dc.jpg

712277901_Cubstand_small.jpg.4d41429427ce77a94bedf9d4d0479f2d.jpg

I have been getting familiar with the Cub over the past few months and I have had some similar experience. I will share a little in the hope that it helps you as well. 

In my first week or so, I practiced to learn. I had similar outcomes where I would practice on scrap then sew at the same weight and have problems. My take-up spring broke within my first week and I spent some time adjusting the new one until I had a good balance. This worked for a while and I was seeing improvement. I again broke a spring a little later.  In each case, getting the spring to the right place was a guess. When I put the next spring on, I marked the point that gave me the best result on the side of the machine. 

Since that point I have been able to adjust the machine to sew at different weights successfully. I learned that one of my problems was trying to sew leather that is too thin. The base weight for reliable stitches is 5-6 oz and even then it gets challenging to get the tension right. When I work on weights around 8oz and up to the machines max 3/4 inch it has very little problem. 

When changing height during a stitch (sewing over a seam or off of a high point) the presser foot has a tendency to not fully return to full pressure on the material. This can cause stitch slippage. I have learned to keep an eye on that as I'm sewing. 

I am no expert and I am just learning myself, but I would say that I am getting better with using the Cub and knowing how to set it up. It has a bit of an experience curve, but I was new to sewing with a machine anyway.    

On 11/11/2020 at 2:13 PM, Slo2lrn said:

Electricmason, I have owned a Weaver Cub since March of this year.  The skipped stitch issue is caused by the take-up spring.  I had to readjust mine (move the spring away from the needle) to pick up the slack when the needle is on the downward movement.  I also adjusted the thread tension a little more. Move the hand wheel in a nice slow smooth motion. No sudden speed ups when going through the work piece.  Here is a pic of a knife sheath just made yesterday. I am also including a pic of the stand I made for the Cub.

Sheath_small.jpg.f39975a9c7d8a9e7439c27de23ccd4dc.jpg

712277901_Cubstand_small.jpg.4d41429427ce77a94bedf9d4d0479f2d.jpg

Nice looking stand,you might want to tighten your bobbin tension alittle to keep it from showing on the top.

@CowboyBob

I'm wondering could you put a wax pot on this machine and stitch with linen thread?  I use 4 cord barbours.   

Edited by Wizcrafts
I added a tag for Cowboy Bob so he'll see your question.