YinTx

Today's Progress on Jim Linnell's free course!

So here is the results from a couple of days effort.  I tried to do it justice, but clearly not up to the master level of Mr. Linnell!  I sometimes have more difficulty doing the larger patterns than the tiny patterns, perhaps because I have done more of the tiny stuff.  Good for me to learn new stuff!

Curious to see if anyone else has been trying his pattern and following his instruction?  If so, feel free to post your progress here!  I'd love to see it.

YinTx

LinnellPractice3LoRes.thumb.jpg.a1cd77273f32c2f888fff6f17e3070f6.jpg

Nice work! Is that Porter style, I think that's what they call it...?

Jim Linnell drew up the pattern, and it does seem to closely resemble the Porter style carving.  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx

That's what I've been doing!! I'm going to start dying today!  ...as soon as I finish wondering around here... :lol:

Thought I had the dye.  :(   I tried to find the light brown color but couldn't find it, anywhere so I got the medium brown and I'll see how it looks when I thin it down.   

Here is where I am so far.  I noticed the name I stamped in could've used a border, and I have some more practicing to do with my basket weave but I still excited about how it'll turn out.  When it gets finished up, I'll post.     Constructive criticism welcome.   thanks.  ~JL

Linnell_binder_v2.jpg

@JayEhl, That is fantastic looking!  I see a lot of little details on yours that came out a lot better than mine.  Perhaps I'll have to practice again.  :)  But they have put up even more free classes on other stuff too so who knows if I'll get to it for a second round?

YinTx

wow, coming from a vet such as yourself, I appreciate the comment.   RESPECT!  :banana:       Yea, I see his other posts but I'm stuck behind a dadgum computer all day and it's tough to break away.  I checked out his art carving and it is so cool.  For anyone out there who is on the fence about Mr. Lennels work, I bought a couple of his art carving lesson videos and here is giving it away.   Dude is a legend and a treasure!   I like to listen to his stories, too!

YinTx: My Great Grandfather - Newton Porter - opened his business in 1875. The "Porter style carving" you refer to references the various "stamping patterns" most famously seen on custom-built Porter saddles. There were a number of patterns: Wickenburg Stamping, Nogales Stamping, Phoenix Stamping, Showlow, Gila Bend, Bonita, etc., etc.

The pattern JayEhl displays in the first piece, includes elements of the Safford Stamping, featured of the Porter No. 726 (most notably known as the Jack Skipworth Trophy) saddle.

Best,

BNP 

BNP, Thanks for the history. I'd like to see more of this style come back, there's something special about an old saddle...!

@BNEWTONP, fantastic to have that history.  I am fascinated by leather design work, and have patterns dating back to the '40s, but nothing from the US earlier than that.  And I really don't have a way to identify what style the patterns belong to.

I've finished tooling all three pieces, just trying to decide what color/antique combo I want to go with... more soon!

YinTx

Cattledude: There IS something about an old saddle! And, if I may say, an old Porter saddle!

YinTx: I have Porter catalogues from the mid-1920's. Some of the most beautiful saddles were built in that era. The stamping patterns included images of bronc riders, Saguaro cactus, mares & foals, etc., etc. 

BNP

Thought I had already put these up, but I see not.  Here they are.  Still doing tests on small pieces to find what color/antique combination I want to use.

YinTx

LinnellPractice4LoRes.thumb.jpg.c445631a0b0b31afd8d95d653d019955.jpg

LinnellPocketLoRes.thumb.jpg.f9d3e02d6195782ce557a949d25ce00d.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 9:35 AM, BNEWTONP said:

Cattledude: There IS something about an old saddle! And, if I may say, an old Porter saddle!

YinTx: I have Porter catalogues from the mid-1920's. Some of the most beautiful saddles were built in that era. The stamping patterns included images of bronc riders, Saguaro cactus, mares & foals, etc., etc. 

BNP

Would love to see some of those.  Private message sent.

YinTx

Most excellent work.  Tooling is great.  I hope to be able to do that some day.  Takes a lot of practice and that's what I'm working on now.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:08 PM, AzShooter said:

Most excellent work.  Tooling is great.  I hope to be able to do that some day.  Takes a lot of practice and that's what I'm working on now.

Thanks, and that is what this is, practice!  

Here is today's progress, a little oil and a bit of dye work.

YinTx

LinnellPractice5LoRes.thumb.jpg.da0bd17176924930bf4ed2a0e8ed3677.jpg

Very nice.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:00 PM, AzShooter said:

Very nice.

Thanks!  Got some resist on the other day, and finished the antique today. Antique is a bit lighter than I expected, but it'll do.  I didn't want a heavy antique color. Set er out to dry.  Always seem to put that one piece upside down for the photos.  Not sure why it feels right to me upside down.  Hopefully I don't stitch it that way!  @JayEhl, how's yours coming along?  Have you already finished?

YinTx

LinnellPractice6LoRes.thumb.jpg.d8967168aaeffac8b54ad9a839a1f965.jpg

Got the spine glued and stitched in, liner glued in, and the pockets glued in, ready for edge work and stitching.  And wouldn't' you know it....

On 5/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, YinTx said:

Always seem to put that one piece upside down for the photos.  Not sure why it feels right to me upside down.  Hopefully I don't stitch it that way!  

I did stitch it that way!  Gaaaaah!!! Even Mr. Linnell says "whatever, just don't screw it up!" and leave it to me.  Enjoy.

YinTx

LinnellPractice8cLoRes.thumb.jpg.cd54642ff5cccaa3e105a58eb08b434b.jpg

LinnellPractice8bLoRes.thumb.jpg.5c7c602bf8e0a6b6b1921f63d80ca8aa.jpg

LinnellPractice8aLoRes.thumb.jpg.d4d84446d356a3331d945d3fc228c7d1.jpg

Very nicely done my friend, thanks for sharing

Looks great Yin, regardless of its upsidedownedness. 

Ok maybe I’m being dense but I don’t see anything there that needs to be a particular way up? Looks great to me, I like the way your dye job turned out.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:01 PM, Bawarrior said:

Very nicely done my friend, thanks for sharing

Thank you.  Still working on it, not happy with the notepad pocket so I pulled it out and will be making a new one.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, battlemunky said:

Looks great Yin, regardless of its upsidedownedness. 

Heh.  Yeah, thank you!  :blush:

17 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Ok maybe I’m being dense but I don’t see anything there that needs to be a particular way up? Looks great to me, I like the way your dye job turned out.

That is probably my problem.  But, he did draw it and make it to be the other way, at least it doesn't look bad upside down tho!  I had some dark spots on the dye, but overall it came out ok.  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx