Evo160K

Tippmann Boss Hand Stitcher Grease

Would anyone know what the clear grease is that Tippmann Industries uses on the moving parts behind the front cover?  I'd like to find some this weekend.  Thank you, thank you very much.

A good, quality, clear  sewing machine grease should work fine.  Any recommendations?  Thank you.

I use Tri-Flow grease.

Bert.

4 hours ago, Evo160K said:

A good, quality, clear  sewing machine grease should work fine.  Any recommendations?  Thank you.

I use Super Lube NLGI 2.

Edited by ensitmike

Why does it have to be clear? I haven't seen too many clear greases around (other than vaseline).

24 minutes ago, dikman said:

Why does it have to be clear? I haven't seen too many clear greases around (other than vaseline).

Likely for the same reason people swear by sewing machine oil...

1. Don't understand lubricants

2. Marketing and Wives-tales

That said, clear oil has some benefits. Grease doesn't have the same problem of dripping down the presser foot though.

Edited by ensitmike

Tri-Flow was recommended on this forum by gottaknow some time back and now I use it on all my machine that has gears or need a no run lubricant.

I also use it on other bits that need a grease type lube and so far it has not disappointed me. I do not care if it is clear or blue, so long as it does what I want it to do.

Bert.

Check out a food grade grease. It is used on food processing machinery and it is clear. I got some recently from Amazon for a stand mixer repair and was very happy with it.

5 hours ago, JJN said:

Check out a food grade grease. It is used on food processing machinery and it is clear. I got some recently from Amazon for a stand mixer repair and was very happy with it.

Probably so you can't see it if it gets in the food!:lol:

Good idea, though.

The same black grease I use on my tractor, mower, chain saw, etc. works fine on my Boss, . . . has for almost 15 years.  When I don't have black, . . . the brown stuff fills the bill.

May God bless,

Dwight

11 hours ago, ensitmike said:

Likely for the same reason people swear by sewing machine oil...

1. Don't understand lubricants

2. Marketing and Wives-tales

That said, clear oil has some benefits. Grease doesn't have the same problem of dripping down the presser foot though.

I have to agree. The same BS is perpetrated in the gun industry. 
for 99% of applications oil is oil and grease is grease. Few things need anything specific. 

Thanks one and all for your comments.

So I was wanting clear grease to minimize the risk of soiling the goods.  If Gottaknow uses Tri-Flow, that'll certainly be fine for me.  Thanks again all.

Edited by Evo160K

7 hours ago, Kcstott said:

It's amazing the number of different lubricating products there are for firearms. A new one seems to come out every couple of months!

It's also amazing how many just use good ol' 3-in-1 on their firearms.:)

Edited by dikman

9 hours ago, Kcstott said:

for 99% of applications oil is oil and grease is grease. Few things need anything specific. 

Exactly the same! Nice example.

The big irony is that sewing machine culture gathered around Tri-Flow.... a bike lube, HA! 

Nothing wrong with the brand, but funny none the less.

Edited by ensitmike

Yeah maybe, but I use it on any thing and every thing. motorbike or pushbike, even on the ute or the car, I have been using it before i started using it on my sewing machine, after all it is grease.................. and if it needs lubing I use it, except for my wheel bearing, gotta a blue one for that job.

Bert.

13 hours ago, dikman said:

It's amazing the number of different lubricating products there are for firearms. A new one seems to come out every couple of months!

It's also amazing how many just use good ol' 3-in-1 on their firearms.:)

I'm one of them. 3 in 1 is light Turbine oil. great lubrication, great antioxidant, great load carrying ability. and it's no $12 an oz. like a lot of the gun oil.  

7 hours ago, Bert51 said:

Yeah maybe, but I use it on any thing and every thing. motorbike or pushbike, even on the ute or the car, I have been using it before i started using it on my sewing machine, after all it is grease.................. and if it needs lubing I use it, except for my wheel bearing, gotta a blue one for that job.

Bert.

Super lube make a non silicone version clear grease. good stuff I have a tube of it in the garage. 

Many lubricants will work well enough in many places. For some of us experimenting is interesting, finding our own solutions, while others just want their machines - whatever kind - to just work. For the people who just want things to work it's a safe bet to use the lubricant the machine manufacturer recommends. It's not like you go through gallons of it every week, in most cases.

2 hours ago, Kcstott said:

Super lube make a non silicone version clear grease. good stuff I have a tube of it in the garage. 

Kcstott,

What's the part number on that tube?  Thanks very much. 

1 hour ago, Evo160K said:

Kcstott,

What's the part number on that tube?  Thanks very much. 

This is the stuff I mentioned. Likely the same stuff. Also comes in tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-41160-Synthetic-Translucent/dp/B0083R1FME/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=super+lube&qid=1587340226&sr=8-3

Edited by ensitmike

I use to use Super Lube until the local retailer double the price per tube, I ask a friend who lives in our state capital to get me some and he turned up with Tri-Flow and I have been using it since.

So long as it works and it suitable for the application, use it. But they are both top products.

Bert.

2 hours ago, dikman said:

Ah, but Superlube has Syncolon!!:)

That's just a trademarked name for PTFE (teflon)

Edited by ensitmike