geronimo42

Carving cut and bevel question

Hi, back to leatherwork after a nearly 40 year break, patternng, sewing, edging, moulding have all come back reasonably quickly, but I am having a long frustrating time trying to carve again. 

I am leaving a cut line after bevelling see photo attached. I have tried cutting deeper, shallower, wetter, drier but cannot get it right. I used to have no problem in years gone by.

so is it:-

1. Operator error, more than likely.

2. Beveller? The one I am using is part of a cheap chinese set it seems to be very rolled over on the front bottom edge.

3. Swivel knife, again a cheap chinese one but I have it extremely sharp. 

Any advice will be most appreciated. 

D66EC1C7-97A0-4A9E-852A-FC73D2F71C9A.jpeg

It looks like you used a shader rather than a beveled!  Can you show a picture of the beveled ?  The face of it. Most of the chinese stamping tools are not worth bringing home, but there are some exceptions 

Thanks for the quick response. I have attached photos of the two sides and the front face. Number on the toolis B-Z 197.

9B59319D-351D-4EF8-827D-0E43666C2632.jpeg

66B5BC56-2660-4021-B7F2-65961542B04A.jpeg

2A9815C0-4C21-4769-AA02-13EE7EFAC26D.jpeg

Edited by geronimo42
Wrong photo

Really looks like that curved back edge is keeping you from properly beveling to the bottom of the cut, and causing you to step all over the letter.  Used decent sets of Craftool stamps can be had pretty readily on Ebay, etc., maybe even where you are at.  Most don't really like the cheap sets, since the shaft can often be bent with bare hands.  If you are brave enough, you could take a file and some sandpaper to the tool to alter the profile, might tell you if that is really the issue.

YinTx

Definitely, the main source of the problem is beveler. Having become interested in working with leather 2.5 years ago, I bought such a Chinese set of stamps “one and a half ten for 10 dollars”. This Z-B197 of terrible look was definitely in it. My disappointment knew no bounds - I could not get even a miserable semblance of result. It is good that this first disappointment did not put an end to attempts. How happy I was when I bought a few inexpensive (3-5 dollars apiece), but normal stamps, I managed to get a normal bevel. Do not let disappointment from bad tools, which in principle can not fulfill their function, stop you.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the encouragement! Yes in the process of sourcing some decent tools here in Australia.

this might help you

Thanks very much!! Appreciated.