Starwind0

how to cut Sting ray leather

Welp.. the texas rose round head knife I waited for 18 months from knipschield custom knives was probably not the best one to try stingray leather on.. So I will be figuring out how to f&ckup my roundhead edge... Pretty upset about that.. but nothing that cant be fixed. 

That about when I went to a cheap knife and literally hammered to get the rest of the cuts done..

Then I did my pricking irons, and tried to sew it. It's as if I tried to align the holes binkfolded with a single tooth iron..

Yikes where do I learn how to use this, challenging material?  This project just used it as an accent, so it was a small piece. Next will be big, like a wallet.

tin snips.

They come in sets of 3   the yellow handle is for straight cuts

red is left cut, green is right cut

if you have a band saw with a blade for metal,  that would be your best [friend] bet 

a drill press with a #20  needle   or what ever you wish.   then punch your holes   {LEAVE THE POWER OFF }

I would also recommend shears / tin-snips. 

An additional suggestion would be to sand/grind down where you want the stitch line to go. Knocking down the pearls will make it less likely that the needle/chisels bounce off.

You can't cut it. You can saw it.

stingray isn't that bad to cut. just turn it over and cut from the back. remember to use your template backward to mark it. I cut and punch stingray all time using a cheap harbor freight utility knife and i have a set of punches i use exclusively for it also. just do it all from the back fleshy side.

I use sturdy shears to cut it.  Then I inlay it under a leather border to hide that nasty looking edge.  I pre punch my holes with an awl chucked into a drill press which works well too.