YinTx

Tried my hand at a tooled belt... What do you think?

3 hours ago, bryan4christ said:

great work .....can you turn this into a business?

Thank you, and considering I can't even sell an English Bridle leather belt with a polished Italian stainless steel buckle for $35, I'm guessing for now that spending 10 hours on a belt that may or may not sell is not exactly the best recipe for a successful business.  Perhaps if I find a market and clientele for it, yes.  However, I think a better recipe is to find the market first, then create a product to suit it.  Not there yet.

YinTx

People are too used to buying cheap.   All you can do is put your stuff out there, and push the quality.   I say this as someone who regularly gets customers complaining I don’t charge enough for my stuff.

Strangely,  they alway add, “charge extra, but not for my stuff”.:lol:   But I pay my bills, so not too bothered.

And you are right, find your ‘niche’, and the rest follows.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

I like that belt design, is it available commercially, I am looking for a floral design without the flowers and already have Oak leaves but all craftaid ones don't seem to fit the bill

On 4/26/2020 at 10:26 AM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

I say this as someone who regularly gets customers complaining I don’t charge enough for my stuff.

Can't say I've had that experience here.  Mostly they are afraid to pick up a $20 wallet, and when they pick up a $125 item and then see the price they drop it like a hot potato because they don't want to have to afford it if Heaven forbid they damaged it while observing it.  I must say I get it, I don't exactly go shopping for expensive belts, wallets, phone covers, purses etc. myself!  I sell enough to keep busy, and the rest of the stuff I make keeps piling up in the corner, dreaming of an owner...

8 hours ago, chrisash said:

I like that belt design, is it available commercially, I am looking for a floral design without the flowers and already have Oak leaves but all craftaid ones don't seem to fit the bill

I believe if you go to Don Gonzales Saddlery website, you will find he sells a lot of belt patterns and other patterns as well.

YinTx

46 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Can't say I've had that experience here.  Mostly they are afraid to pick up a $20 wallet, and when they pick up a $125 item and then see the price they drop it like a hot potato because they don't want to have to afford it if Heaven forbid they damaged it while observing it.  I must say I get it, I don't exactly go shopping for expensive belts, wallets, phone covers, purses etc. myself!  I sell enough to keep busy, and the rest of the stuff I make keeps piling up in the corner, dreaming of an owner...

I believe if you go to Don Gonzales Saddlery website, you will find he sells a lot of belt patterns and other patterns as well.

YinTx

Keeping busy is good.:)

16 hours ago, YinTx said:

YinTx

Many thanks, a lot to chose from and great prices

Yin, your belt looks nice.  I agree with you about belt making, have made several and would rather get shot then make one..lol.  Anything else but a belt...but good job.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:08 PM, Wykoni said:

Yin, your belt looks nice.  I agree with you about belt making, have made several and would rather get shot then make one..lol.  Anything else but a belt...but good job.

Thank you so much!  Haven't seemed to have gotten such a positive response outside of the leatherworking crowd, so I appreciate the compliment.  And the commiseration!  

YinTx

On 5/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, YinTx said:

Thank you so much!  Haven't seemed to have gotten such a positive response outside of the leatherworking crowd, so I appreciate the compliment.  And the commiseration!  

YinTx

You mention not getting much of a positive response from the non leather crowd.  Most of the things I've made I've gifted.  My circle of folks look at something I've carved all think its just a bunch of stamps in the shapes of leaves, flowers and scrolls.  It's really hard for them to appreciate what goes into it though they make think the design is cool or pretty.  

I wouldn't know how to begin to price something.  I'll have around 30-40 dollars in materials in a belt and I don't know many people that would pay that for a belt much less compensation enough to make a profit!

I think the next belt I carve and sew will be an 1 3/4 inch belt tampered to 1 1/2 on each end.

Scootch

On 5/2/2020 at 11:06 PM, Scootch said:

look at something I've carved all think its just a bunch of stamps in the shapes of leaves, flowers and scrolls.

Very true.  Or that it is embossed like everything else in the store.  Some recognize the craft or sense something about it is more of an art than production, those are the ones that end up purchasing.  Ok by me, just the way it is.  Some want to learn about why it is more expensive, I'll explain some, 1 of 100 of those will then want to purchase, again ok with me if I have the time to spare.

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Very true.  Or that it is embossed like everything else in the store.  Some recognize the craft or sense something about it is more of an art than production, those are the ones that end up purchasing.  Ok by me, just the way it is.  Some want to learn about why it is more expensive, I'll explain some, 1 of 100 of those will then want to purchase, again ok with me if I have the time to spare.

YinTx

I will also do repairs, and quite a few  ‘expansions’ on rigs for folk (you know how a leather belt can shrink over timeB)), and I’ve had a couple of customers proudly tell me of the hundreds of pound they’ve paid for the hand carved rig.     On inspection, it is obvious that the whole pattern is embossed.

That is why, if I have one of those customers who ask lots of what many call ‘daft’ questions, I really don’t mind.   Even if they eventually don’t buy from me, at least they might now have a better chance of not being ripped off.   

Sometimes just a bit of education, and time spent in explanation can work wonders.

Really good looking belt!