DirtyDusty

5 cord linen

Anyone know what diameter it is? Trying to figure out what size tiger thread would be the equivalent. 

0.655 mm or 0.0258 inch

Be aware that linen is much less strong than polyester. I would use 5 cord linen for 5-6 spi. In Tiger thread I like 1.0 mm for 5 spi, 0.8 for 6 spi, or 0.6 mm for 7 spi.

If you have to pick one all-purpose size, I would suggest 6 spi and 0.8 mm.  You can get away with it for small items  like wallets, or still sew a backpack without it taking for-e-ver.

Totally YOUR choice, but I don't/WON'T use synthetics. If you are working with leather, WHY would you introduce PLASTIC?

Your mileage may vary.

One reason to introduce synthetics, which does not always mean plastics, is because they are way cheaper and way stronger.  They also resist fraying way better than linen, which may not matter to a historical reenactor but definitely matter to modern consumers who expect items to look like new deapite years of neglect.  Nearly all leather goods, eg shoes, are made using synthetic threads. 

Reasons not to introduce synthetics are because linen is much easier to dye, products sewn with linen are far easier to repair, for historical accuracy, because linen is so well known, and it is much, much easier on the fingers.  Synthetic threads will cut you.  Plus, synthetic unties itself too easily.

Neither option is inherently superior, except in a particular set of circumstances and depending on priorities.

On 5/5/2020 at 4:34 AM, tsunkasapa said:

Totally YOUR choice, but I don't/WON'T use synthetics. If you are working with leather, WHY would you introduce PLASTIC?

Your mileage may vary.

Yes i agree Leather is natural product as is Linen thread just seems right to me. 

There is one exception to that rule for me its when i am stitching girth billets to the saddle tree webbing which will be in most cases, will be a made man product so its more abrasive on Linen thread so that is the only time i will use Tiger thread, you can use Linen thread for this and have done in the past i just double up 5/18 Linen thread

I can't have bonded nylon at all horrible stuff.

Hope this helps

JCUK