RockyAussie

Should we all be wearing facemasks in public areas?

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

[sigh]  Obviously, no sense of humour here...  :rolleyes2:

well I got it and liked it

Ba - Nana !

1416149908_minions-clipart-doctor-1-Copy.jpg.6f50d1c993f151612a036c1634e24475.jpg

I seem to recall the constitution guaranteeing the right to 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness', so when your actions are endangering my life and the lives of others, YOU are in the wrong!

7 hours ago, Frodo said:

“These kind of confused government policies fuel public anger – and rightfully so,” wrote Patrick, who has been a vocal advocate for reopening the Texas economy and getting people back to work

How does wearing a face mask slow down or stop the economy from reopening and getting back to work? I is dumb again.:crazy: I would have thought by all wearing masks when in public it would have made it safer to interact.... but I can see that it would be hard to drink coffee with one on and eat in restaurants but either way I sure as hell would not want to be served by someone who interacts with a lot of unknown carriers and then have them come over speaking to me when they offer me my possibly contaminated food. 

I would think that after a very expensive shut down that requiring people to wear a mask for 30 days when going out into public was a good common sense measure. For me that is about 4 times for about an hour once a week when I might want to shop. If I was a police officer I would like that person I am dealing with to be wearing a mask and not be so concerned about them infecting me whilst I have to do whatever my job requires with that individual.:dunno:

In my country Australia we have laws that stop anyone from smoking in all sorts of areas and that is now accepted. 2nd hand smoke over a lot of time could eventually kill some people who get long exposure times to it. This is continuing, all of the time, forever set of laws and I as a smoker don't think there is anything wrong with be restricted from sharing my disgusting addiction with any unwilling participants, so why do some people object to some temporary restriction (30 days) on possibly breathing out something that could go on to kill HUGE numbers of people?  It would seem to me that Civil rights get confused with what an INDIVIDUAL wants and what the majority needs. If this virus was shit and you splashed it around in a supermarket I believe you would be locked up pretty quick and rightly so but that probably would not go on to kill HUGE numbers of people. WHY then is it alright to expect then that it is OK to spread something far worse and cry draconian  measures????

Tis all a bit bananas to me :banana:

" Help me, Help me!!! The paranoids are after me..."

Roses are red, 

Violets are blue

I'm Schizophrenic, 

and so am I...

5 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Used clothing has been tested to be 3% effective so why bother when you can buy an n95 mask on Amazon?

Where did you see that info?

Most every thing I have found to date claims way way more better than that.

“Research supported by Nobel prize-winning virologist Harold Varmus tells us that placing a layer of cloth in front of a person’s face stops 99% of the droplets.

“In a paper published in Nature on Friday, a five-year study from the University of Hong Kong and the University of Maryland has found that a simple non-fitted mask blocked 100% of coronavirus droplets and aerosol.” –The Guardian

On average I have found claims from research that 2 layers of cotton can do better than 60% filtration and even one study funded by 3M and the Australian government that came up with something like this- without a mask 200. with their own home made masks 43 and on 3M surgical masks 30. This is a comparison of the total of colony forming units isolated by partical size . That to me says that wearing a home made fabric face mask gives me well over a 400% chance that I will not be spreading my spit around compared to NO mask. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258525804_Testing_the_Efficacy_of_Homemade_Masks_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic

I do believe that the wearing of masks is way more effective in protecting others if the wearer is infected and the idea requires ALL to consider each other if we want to be protected ourselves. As 80% of people would have no idea they are infected to start with.... the best thing is to consider is that you might just well be.

IF you need to go into a hospital for anything and get treated I would like to think that the people treating me have had the best in protection and won't be giving me this Coronvirus because they haven't had enough N95 masks rightly available to them firstly.:whatdoyouthink:

On 4/23/2020 at 4:31 AM, Hardrada said:

No.

@ ~19 minute mark:

Interesting. It would be wonderful if she is right in what she professes I think. Sweden will tell us how correct she is or not pretty quickly by the look of it. At this stage they don't look very good and large amounts of their old people are dying but I guess their economy is looking OK. I really hope that they have it right as I am sure they do as well. Would not have thought that wearing a mask was really that bad though.:dunno: Better than having to get Vaccinated if it could be stopped before they come up with one.

Just a couple of things about Dr Judy Mikovits to consider taking into account with any decisions you may make from watching this video-

https://qz.com/595909/why-bad-science-wont-ever-die/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits

Edited by RockyAussie
Further findings that are relevent

49 minutes ago, Cattledude said:

" Help me, Help me!!! The paranoids are after me..."

Roses are red, 

Violets are blue

I'm Schizophrenic, 

and so am I...

Me, myself and I totally agree except that your wrong. The roses come in all sorts of colours these days..........and the Cattledutoo

I had to run to the pharmacy this morning to pick up my meds, and tried out using a banana, but couldn't quite keep it in place.  I guess wearing the wrong face mask is a slippery slope.

- Bill

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Interesting. It would be wonderful if she is right in what she professes I think. Sweden will tell us how correct she is or not pretty quickly by the look of it. At this stage they don't look very good and large amounts of their old people are dying but I guess their economy is looking OK. I really hope that they have it right as I am sure they do as well. Would not have thought that wearing a mask was really that bad though.:dunno: Better than having to get Vaccinated if it could be stopped before they come up with one.

Just a couple of things about Dr Judy Mikovits to consider taking into account with any decisions you may make from watching this video-

https://qz.com/595909/why-bad-science-wont-ever-die/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Mikovits

The 36% risk for those with the flu shot has come up again:

Not trying to antagonise you, Aussie, but the Wikipedia is not neutral. It is highly biased, and it's been known for character assassination of personalities whose work and stance does not fit with the narrative Wiki wants to promote. Besides studying medicine, I also have a degree in geoscience (ABD), and I can attest to this in regards to the climate issue. I don't trust wikipedia any farther than I can throw it: it's one of those outlets that have claimed to be unbiased so as to be able to be biased with impunity through hiding behind an aura of respectable neutrality. Ditto the MSM.

This covert bias doesn't bode well for scientists who don't subscribe to the 'consensus' (of which there's hardly any) and they must use alternative outlets which are usually so low-budget that they can't afford to prettify the presentation of these scientists' work; and because the presentation looks 'cheap', many of the public are too quick to dismiss it as bogus. I can't blame the public, because they're not experts: that's what the experts are for after all. Alas, many experts have surrendered their integrity in order to please, for whatever reason (maintain tenure at varsities, fame and fortune, &c., &c.).

Edited by Hardrada

7 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I had to run to the pharmacy this morning to pick up my meds, and tried out using a banana, but couldn't quite keep it in place.  I guess wearing the wrong face mask is a slippery slope.

- Bill

Haha! Reminds me of what someone very dear to me suggested: that instead of stitching leather, I should be stitching masks with a smiley curve on them, because you can't see if people smile when they're wearing the regular ones. :Lighten:

Your news source is not one I'd trust. And if the emergency wards aren't overflowing, that means social distancing is WORKING!

I

Rebel News Network, Ltd.,[1] stylized as Rebel News, and previously known as The Rebel Media, The Rebel and The Rebel News Network, Ltd., is a Canadian far-right[7] political and social commentary media website. It was founded in February 2015 by former Sun News Network personalities Ezra Levant and Brian Lilley. It has been described as a "global platform" for the anti-Muslim ideology known as counter-jihad.[8][9][10]

The Rebel Media broadcasts its content on the Rebel Media website and its YouTube channel, which previously peaked on 16 August 2017, at 873,800 subscribers, however with the August departures, it had fallen to a minimum of 842,200 as of 31 August. In September–October 2017 the channel resumed its growth. On 25 June 2019, it had over 1.2 million subscribers.[11]

The Rebel Media, often cast as Canada's version of Breitbart News,[12][13] has been described as being part of the alt-right movement.[14]

Former Sun News reporter Faith Goldy joined the outlet after launch,[15] but was fired for her prominent coverage of the Charlottesville rally, and her interview with The Daily Stormer.[16] A co-founder and two freelancers resigned in protest of the coverage.[17] Gavin McInnes, founder of the far-right neo-fascist[22] organization Proud Boys, is also a contributor. McInnes left the site in 2017, and rejoined the site in 2019.[23]

And NO the COVID patients with heart disease, etc. did NOT die from heart disease: without having caught the virus, they probably would have lived for many more years. Saying they died from heart disease is like saying someone who was shot didn't die from the bullet, but from the bleeding it caused.

As for lifting restrictions in areas that don't have many cases of the virus, that's like saying 'oh, I'm only going to pee in my one little corner of the pool'! 

When you consider remote areas like northern Alberta, you have to remember the native people, most of whom are crowded into sub-standard housing, where the disease would spread like wildfire if it ever got into their community. This is already happening on reservations in the United States.

But of course, those aren't white people, so maybe it wouldn't matter to someone who uses an alt-right website to support his opinions...

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Well, I'm not white.

And I have the same worse opinion of the CBC as you have of Rebel News.

As I mentioned in another thread now defunct: we have 75 ongoing cases in the province, of which ONLY 5 ARE IN HOSPITAL. So, yes, irrespective of the source, that nurse is telling the truth when it comes to hospital personnel twidling their thumbs right now at our provincial hospitals. They are also telling the truth when they mention the life-threatening impact this is having on people with other conditions, just as serious, who cannot receive treatment right now because of the current measures.

Edited by Hardrada

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

How does wearing a face mask slow down or stop the economy from reopening and getting back to work? I is dumb again.:crazy: I would have thought by all wearing masks when in public it would have made it safer to interact.... but I can see that it would be hard to drink coffee with one on and eat in restaurants but either way I sure as hell would not want to be served by someone who interacts with a lot of unknown carriers and then have them come over speaking to me when they offer me my possibly contaminated food. 

I would think that after a very expensive shut down that requiring people to wear a mask for 30 days when going out into public was a good common sense measure. For me that is about 4 times for about an hour once a week when I might want to shop. If I was a police officer I would like that person I am dealing with to be wearing a mask and not be so concerned about them infecting me whilst I have to do whatever my job requires with that individual.:dunno:

In my country Australia we have laws that stop anyone from smoking in all sorts of areas and that is now accepted. 2nd hand smoke over a lot of time could eventually kill some people who get long exposure times to it. This is continuing, all of the time, forever set of laws and I as a smoker don't think there is anything wrong with be restricted from sharing my disgusting addiction with any unwilling participants, so why do some people object to some temporary restriction (30 days) on possibly breathing out something that could go on to kill HUGE numbers of people?  It would seem to me that Civil rights get confused with what an INDIVIDUAL wants and what the majority needs. If this virus was shit and you splashed it around in a supermarket I believe you would be locked up pretty quick and rightly so but that probably would not go on to kill HUGE numbers of people. WHY then is it alright to expect then that it is OK to spread something far worse and cry draconian  measures????

Tis all a bit bananas to me :banana:

Would you mind telling me ,  what this you quoted..  Has to do with what you posted?

I am cornfused as heck. 

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

“These kind of confused government policies fuel public anger – and rightfully so,” wrote Patrick, who has been a vocal advocate for reopening the Texas economy and getting people back to work

Re. masks - going to repeat this again. I'm sure most of you on this board have watched MASH. As you would have seen when the doctors were suiting up for the OR, their masks were cloth. They were sterilized between procedures, the same way surgical implements were, then discarded when they began to show sign of wear. They were the 'gold standard' for decades until more modern synthetic masks came along.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

18 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Would you mind telling me ,  what this you quoted..  Has to do with what you posted?

I am cornfused as heck. 

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

Sorry Frodo I am getting confused myself. When I saw the quote above "These kind of confused government policies fuel public anger" I mistakenly perhaps took that to mean that Patrick was referring to the Mask wearing laws but in looking further at it I think that he is more referring to the shutting of the temporary hospital. I do apologise and I thank you for pointing this out. I do try to look and read things properly but I sometimes get confused as heck myself.:blink:

Kind Regards and please stay well.

Brian

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

Not trying to antagonise you, Aussie, but the Wikipedia is not neutral.

No hope of doing that my friend and I would fight hard to give you any rights to say whatever it is you think whether I agreed or not. I want all points of view to consider or my own opinion is without any strong foundation and should therefore hold little value. Your point is taken with thanks.

Just came across this excellent article from the New Yorker, which details a strategy to defeat the virus. I am convinced THIS is what we need to do to beat it, as it's already been successful  in S. Korea and several other countries:

What weapons are available to us? Important insights come from a recent study of more than thirty-two thousand coronavirus patients in Wuhan, China, published in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association and conducted as a coöperative effort by the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, in Cambridge, and the Tongji School of Public Health, in Wuhan. The study outlines a strategy that has brought the coronavirus to heel, at least for now.

At first, the virus ran unchecked in Wuhan, and was highly transmissible. The authorities locked down the city, and the “flattening of the curve” began. The rate of transmission dropped dramatically. And yet this wasn’t good enough. The Chinese authorities worried that, if they lifted the lockdown, the virus would spread again as quickly as before. Enduring the pain of lockdown without a path to a virus-free future—that’s where we, across the U.S., find ourselves today.

And so the health officials in Wuhan adopted a more aggressive approach. They began widespread testing, finding the people who were infected. They found out whom those people had been with, got in touch with those individuals, and tested them. They quarantined people who they thought might have the virus and hospitalized those who were sick. And they scaled up their health-care system, building more than a dozen new hospitals dedicated to treating patients in the early stages of coronavirus infection. Five elements, five weapons: social distancing, contact tracing, testing, isolation, and treatment. After Wuhan began using these weapons simultaneously, the transmission rate dropped again, to the point where any single case led to less than one more. Once that happens, an epidemic dies.

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong—by using these five weapons, they, too, have gained control over the virus. Evidence from countries around the world, including Germany and Australia, strongly suggests that only this full, five-part response is capable of stopping covid-19. Italy has yet to deploy the full arsenal; there, the virus’s spread has slowed, but not enough to stop the outbreak and allow a restart of the economy. Spain faces the same problem. In the United States, we are seeing a flattening of the curve in places where social distancing has been practiced rigorously. But we haven’t yet used the full arsenal, either. We’re not going on the offensive, taking the fight to the virus and stopping its transmission.

We need to change our strategy. Recent events in Massachusetts may signal a new beginning. The state’s governor, Charlie Baker, has embarked on a plan that includes full-scale, statewide testing and contact tracing, which will be linked to an effective quarantine-and-treatment system. A consortium—made up of state and local departments of health, the state’s health-insurance marketplace, and private companies, including Accenture and Salesforce—is working to build the system and hire hundreds of new employees by the end of this month. Partners in Health is drawing on its global disease-fighting experience to help coördinate the effort. It’s a true mobilization: the state is taking on the virus directly, using the five-element anti-pandemic arsenal. (I am a special adviser to the effort.)

Many people have the impression that it’s too late for contact tracing. It’s useful for keeping an infection out of the country, they say, but it’s too hard once the disease is widespread. As veterans of previous campaigns against epidemics, we can say with certainty that this is a misperception. We agree that it is late, but countries that have succeeded in suppressing covid-19 have shown that contact tracing is effective even at the peak of an epidemic. In the fight against infection, you’re always late. Lateness just means that there’s no time to waste.

Tracing, of course, must go hand in hand with fast and accurate testing. We’ve all heard that no health authority in the United States currently has access to testing in the volume that’s needed. But many new kinds of tests are in the works or on the way. Using currently available technology, Massachusetts has already managed to dramatically increase the number of tests that it administers, from forty-one on March 9th to more than eight thousand on April 17th. The Broad Institute has pledged to use its massive, state-of-the-art laboratories to process many thousands of tests per day. Other states could achieve the same kind of results, and could also leverage labs at their local companies and universities.

We’ve been told that many Americans won’t put up with quarantine and isolation. But the truth is that most people, once they learn that they’ve been exposed to the virus and may get sick in the near future, understand why they need to stay home. What’s required is support. You can’t stay at home if you don’t have any food; you can’t answer a call from a contact tracer if you have no minutes left on your phone, or no phone at all. You might need help explaining what’s happening to your boss. You’ll need reassurance that you’ll be able to support your family. The countries in Asia that have succeeded in fighting the virus have provided just this kind of support. Helping people who are infected or at risk of infection stay home or at a designated facility requires money and staff. But there are many Americans who would leap at the opportunity to help their neighbors and their country. And, compared with the stimulus packages that we have passed and continue to contemplate, the cost of hiring them is a bargain.

Just saw this video from one of the few people I follow and whose abilities I am always impressed by "Uwe". -

18 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Your legal rights?  Really?  What exactly are those rights you think you are losing?  Even the SCOTUS can't consistently determine from the Constitution what your legal rights are.

If you can read, try reading the bill of rights, they are the only rights we legally have. Scotus job is not to interpret those rights.

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Just came across this excellent article from the New Yorker, which details a strategy to defeat the virus. I am convinced THIS is what we need to do to beat it, as it's already been successful  in S. Korea and several other countries:

Are you suggesting the USA should model it's COVID19 response after China's?  

I assume that you are not aware of the interment camps, The people who get in police cars and disappear  or the infected that were locked in there apartments and starved to death? Reports coming out of China say the gubment is brutal and is killing those that are infected.

Is this what you are advocating for? 

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

If you are convinced then let your Canadian government know about it, they aren't doing it that way either. Why the worry about the US?

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

If you are convinced then let your Canadian government know about it, they aren't doing it that way either. Why the worry about the US?

ever have a neighbor that constantly watched out the window at what every one else is doing?

completely ignoring there own house as it fell down around there ears?   

well...there ya go

10 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Are you suggesting the USA should model it's COVID19 response after China's?  

I assume that you are not aware of the interment camps, The people who get in police cars and disappear  or the infected that were locked in there apartments and starved to death? Reports coming out of China say the gubment is brutal and is killing those that are infected.

Is this what you are advocating for? 

Stories of them actually welding or nailing closed doors with people inside, killing all the dogs and pets. No thanks the numbers aren't adding up the models weren't correct we are being led into hysteria with the false assurance that somehow we will get through life without death, if we starve half the modern world from this shutdown. Wear a mask, wash your hands AND FACE AROUND YOUR MOUTH AND NOSE.

Edited by chuck123wapati