I am curious as to what everyone is using for edgers... make and model, size?

I am looking to upgrade and there are so many sizes and different manufacturers. Would anyone mind going through what you're keeping in your shop as far as sizes and tool maker?

Is a strop board worth the investment?

Thank you in advance.

I use both Barry King and Ron’s edgers, it all depends on the thickness of the leather and brand of edgers you use as to what size! A #2 in one brand very likely is not the same size in another brand!  I believe the Leather Crafters Journal published an article on the size differences of different brands a few months ago but can’t seem to find the article aT the moment. I know this just makes things more confusing but that’s the way it is!

I have used Barry King, Ron's and  Jeremiah Watt edgers.  These days I seem to reach for Ron's Montana and Round edgers first.  The Montana's for thinner stuff and Round for thicker.  I mainly use sizes 1-5.

I like the Weaver Master Tools edgers. The 1,2, and 3 are the most used. I have 4, and 5 but they are seldom used.

I mainly work with 2/3.5oz leather and I have been using a $12.99 from amazon WUTA .08mm edge beveler and it works a hell of a lot better than my $30.00 Craftool size 0 from tandy.

Im waiting on a berry king 00 from rocky mountain hopefully the thinner nose will allow for better edge engagement on the thinner leathers.

on a side note all these tool companies need to figure out a universal sizing system because it seems everyone is different and just adds to the confusion when getting started.

It's easy and cheap enough to make your own strop from oddments of wood and leather - either a flat one for sharpening things like knives and skiving knives, or one with raised strips of leather for sharpening edgers

Search YouTube for 'making a strop' and 'sharpening edge bevelers'

To a large extent, edgers are a matter of personal preference and suitability to the task, with the same caveats that go with any cutting tool on taking and holding an edge.   My older Tandy craftool edgers seem to hold an edge better than the newer ones, but I do have a full set of them so they're useful for when I need an out of the ordinary size.  I bought a couple of new CSOsborne bissonnette edgers to try out.  I liked that they can be used on both push and pull strokes, but haven't had much luck with them, probably because I can't quite get a handle on how to sharpen them!  My current go-to is an antique Osborne #1 common edger.  

For sharpening, I have some small files to use when they need a lot of work, but mostly use bits of leather or round leather cording (depend on the shape of the edge needed) glued to a board.  One set of those have some heavy duty compound on them (brown tripoli), and another set with on which I use a lighter compound (green) for stropping.

For sure make a strop!  They make all the difference in quickly "touching up" your cutting edges.  You'll need to do a full on sharpening far less often if using a strop.  The first strops that I made were fairly small, and I still use those for small blades like my swivel knife.  I have a much larger strop of a couple of feet length that I use for larger blades, allowing me to take a larger pass at it.  Much faster!  I often use my leather strop to touch up kitchen knives, pocket knives, disposable utility blades, and just about everything else with an edge - Very handy!

- Bill

The one I use is this:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/CTB5in1w/5-in-1-Edge-Beveller/pd.php

I use the #3 mainly on heavy leathers .  The other sizes are stored inside the handle .  It works great. Its always  super sharp .  I have also learnt to '  regulate' the amount of pressure I apply  ( if that makes any sense at all)  . The harder I push, the more it removes , and vice versa , saving me having to keep changing sizes when I bevel lighter leathers .  The large handle is good ,  as my hands do get sore on occasion  .  I do have other branded edgers, that I sometimes use,  but I'm happy with this one.  

I could spend a lot of money on a quality  name brand  tool, or I could  spend less than 40 bucks  on a tool ( or in this case, 5 tools)  that does that exact same thing  with the exact same result. 

HS

Kyoshin Elle #1 and a Tandy #2. The former sees the most use: even on thick belts, I like my edge bevel thin.

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

... even on thick belts, I like my edge bevel thin.

Me too. I'm using Barry King sizes 00 to 2. Like Hardrada, I prefer my edge bevels thin and find that I'm using the 0 and 1 a lot on leathers in the 8 to 10 oz range. As others have noted, making some strops is a good idea. I actually use a piece of very thin cord impregnated with compound on the 00 edger. Works very well.

Regards,

Arturo