Brooks125

Motorcycle Tank side cover

A friend of mine is asking if I could cover a side plate for his son's Ducati Scrambler.  The original covers are aluminum and can be attached/detached by a tab and grommets, and secured by an allen screw in the middle.  The design is convex, thankfully, but I'm wondering what's the best way to attack this.  I'm a holster guy, so I need some guidance on type of leather and how to bond or secure it to the plates.  He's also wanting it in a russet brown finish, but I'm guessing I'll use something already tanned to that finish.  The photo isn't the actual plate, but it's the same size/shape - in aluminum.  Thanks in advance.  (Always fun to get out of the comfort zone!)

ZA974Y_mounted.jpg

Edited by Brooks125

just a shot in the dark here but i would assume you would use some form veg tan and wet mold it. then a couple of layers of contact cement to secure it to the tank.

OR

if you wanted to keep it removable you could also wet mold it with a lip that wraps around the back which when tightened by the screw on the front would pinch the leather between the tank and plate.