VanBandama

How to get smooth carving lines?

Hi. I'm new to this forum and leather crafting, I watched dozens of videos from tandy on YT. I did every step carefully .But in the end my panda looks kinda stiff or I should  say like hewn stone :)  How to get smooth carving lines?

Thanks for any advice 

IMG_20200424_155812.jpg

Edited by VanBandama

practice, practice, practice and more practice..... check out youtube channel Joe Meling or facebook 23+ for some tips and tricks.....

bobby

You will find that mallet/maul weight matched to tool  has a lot to do with it. Being able to pick a 'whacker' that is just right and needs only gravity and guidance will help a lot (over the years, I have accumulated~ 20 different weights from 6 oz to 3 lbs and use them all in a large, complex pattern) I find that with practice (years) I can control the force delivered more exactly and switch less often.

I feel the most important factor in smooth carving is having a sharp swivel knife blade.  You will be surprised at how much easier carving can be.  The other thing I see is you are leaning the knife and undercutting on some of your curves. What Oldtoot said is awfully important also

Terry

Edited by terrymac
Addition

thank you for quick and detalied response. I'll definitely check that youtube channel. 

To my untrained eye that seems like a pretty good first attempt, I find this motivating. Make sure to post a follow up!